New shoes, but didnt know i needed new clips & pedals... Help :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redjedi

Über Member
Cat said:
I've had a thought, im gonna stick with the shoes i have, i know its more money i have to spend out, but i think the road pedals maybe better as they are bigger, if that makes sense.

I just need to know what ones will fit my shoes and what clips i have to get.

Thanks everyone for your replys

Any road type pedal will work e.g. Look Keo or Shimano SPD-SL.

Then you need the appropriate triangular plastic cleat with 3 holes (they are all the same spacing).

I use the Look Keo classics with the grey cleats (included)

Float is the amount of movement your feet get before they unclip e.g. the grey Looks give 4.5 degrees of movement which for me is more than enough.

The Look Keo Easy is a slightly cheaper pedal but appear to be out of stock on most websites. Amazon have some with grey cleats for £35.99

Or you could go for the Shimano versions like the PD-R540 SPD SL also inc cleats. These are the Shimano SPD SL cleats.

There are also other brands but these are the most common and most LBS will have replacement cleats for when you wear them out.

Be aware though that these do wear out very quickly compared to the SPD mountain bike versions. I've just replaced my Looks which wore out after about 4 months of heavy use. But I use mine everyday for commuting, so lots of un-clipping involved.

Also some cleat covers are worth getting if you want to walk around in them.

If these are your first clipless pedals then practise a lot before you get out on the road. Position myself next to a fence and sit on the bike just un-clipping and clipping back in until you get the hang of it.
When clipping back in on the road, don't rush!! If you miss the pedal there is no grip on the middle of the shoe and your foot will go flying forward which could get messy.

I much prefer them to SPD pedals especially if your doing long distances.

Good luck

hotmetal

Well, whatever the purists might say, I went for some Spesh MTB raceshoes - my LBS had them on offer cos they were 2009 model, so I got the ones with carbon soles for £70. They don't look very different from the other shoes shown in this thread but the cleats are recessed so I don't have to walk like an inebriated duck or scuff any cafe floors! Plus I can wear the same shoes on my road bike, commuter, MTB (and all my mates' MTBs too, now I think of it). My pedals are Crank Bros, so I can clip in both sides and there is enough movement (float) for my knees not to suffer.

I would also agree with those who say send them back and get some shoes that'l accept the cleats that go with the pedals you normally use.
BG%20Expert%20MTB%28large%29.jpg

ChristinaJL

Cat said:
I've had a thought, im gonna stick with the shoes i have

I switched to the 3 bolt road cleats a couple of years back, and I much prefer them on a road bike to MTB ones. It's personal preference, but you might find you like them better too. :smile:

I have the specialized WSD torch shoes, they can take both 2 and 3 bolt. I tried them with both, but the 3 bolt gave much more power and the 2 bolt I found made my feet feel funny. :smile:

I have these shimano pedals (or any earlier version like them) - very easy to clip in and out of.

Cat said:
I've had a thought, im gonna stick with the shoes i have, i know its more money i have to spend out, but i think the road pedals maybe better as they are bigger, if that makes sense.

I just need to know what ones will fit my shoes and what clips i have to get.

Thanks everyone for your replys

I also use two different types of shoe/cleat.

Its all personal preference really (and affordability).

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
CC is nothing if not a celebration of individuality.

All my bikes have mtb spds because I only owned one pair of shoes (boots) and pedals were cheap and shoes were not. I've done 200 miles in them without problem but only when using a M324 pedal.

Then both SWMBO's (wife and daughter) decided the boots, after 10 years, stank and had to be replaced. Now I had a fleet of mtb spd equipped bikes so I had to buy mtb shoes.

What I hate about group riding with people wearing road shoes is the way they have to clip in before they can start pedalling. "All up!" click click click click ad infinitum by which time I've pedalled off into the distance having, mtb stylee, started pedalling and only then clipping in.

hotmetal

GregCollins said:
What I hate about group riding with people wearing road shoes is the way they have to clip in before they can start pedalling. "All up!" click click click click ad infinitum by which time I've pedalled off into the distance having, mtb stylee, started pedalling and only then clipping in.

Interesting - I'd never really thought of that (or noticed it)

GregCollins said:
CC is nothing if not a celebration of individuality.

All my bikes have mtb spds because I only owned one pair of shoes (boots) and pedals were cheap and shoes were not. I've done 200 miles in them without problem but only when using a M324 pedal.

Then both SWMBO's (wife and daughter) decided the boots, after 10 years, stank and had to be replaced. Now I had a fleet of mtb spd equipped bikes so I had to buy mtb shoes.

Depends how good you are at clipping in. I do the same as you on the MTB, on the Roadie im usually clipped in with one or two turns of the crank.

andyhunter

tbh your better just having mtb pedals and shoes for a mtb and road shoes and road pedals for a road bike ;) not only does it make life alot easier it saves you pissing about changing cleats and far easier to maintain :smile:. i personally find the time pedals the current best on the market not just for the road but mtb to and specialized the current leaders for road and mtb shoes.

I've never tried the road shoe and spd adapter; I guess it would work but IMO a little metal bit on a flat sole shoe would be lethal!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
addictfreak said:
Depends how good you are at clipping in. I do the same as you on the MTB, on the Roadie im usually clipped in with one or two turns of the crank.

clearly I ride with rank amateurs......:evil:

To be fair, since I fracked my knee, uncliping my right foot is very painful unless I pivot my entire body at the hip. So my right foot stays clipped in most of the time. I also have to cant my bike 45 degrees to the left to climb aboard as swinging my right leg over the saddle is breathtakingly painful.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
addictfreak said:

clearly I ride with rank amateurs......:evil:

To be fair, since I fracked my knee, uncliping my right foot is very painful unless I pivot my entire body at the hip. So my right foot stays clipped in most of the time. I also have to cant my bike 45 degrees to the left to climb aboard as swinging my right leg over the saddle is breathtakingly painful.

OP
OP
C

Cat

Jann - Does your shoes have the 3 holes on the bottom in the shape of a triangle like mine shown some where on page 1 i believe it is?

I know that ones i start with these, ill properly be click click click click, in it goes, then struggle to try and get it out, and fall over lol

Great advice everyone i really appreciate it :blush: Thank you

This whole getting kitted up cycling is costing me a fortune... next I'm getting the Garmin 705 :evil: cant wait

jann71

Veteran
Yip 3 holes on the bottom of the shoe, same as yours.
They are very easy to get used to, just need a little bit of practice, I'm ok as long as I unclip left foot first!

OP
OP
C

Cat

Brilliant thanking you & everyone else for your help.

Ive decided on what pedals which i get the cleats with, just waiting till i get paid now ;)

Top Bottom