New shoes, but didnt know i needed new clips & pedals... Help :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cat

Ok here goes…. Bit long winded, im affraid… sorry L

I bought some new Road Shoes as my other half has now got a pair….

I bought these ones of wiggle as me being a girl I thought “looked nice” http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shimano_WR60_Ladies_Road_Cycling_Shoes/5360040181/

I popped into my LBS today all excited as the new hat I ordered was in and I also managed to collect the shoes from the post office before hand…

So I showed him my shoes thinking I would get the same cleats as the b/f… to my astonishment he put different clips on the table and said “this is what you need”

My mouth dropped as I was like these aint the ones I know of, well now I know that the other half’s Road Shoe has the option of both fixings for MTB & Road Cleats for his shoes?…… now I know that the pedals I have are Shimano MTB Clipless pedals that wont work with my road shoes (I don’t know if the above makes sense, all very new to me you see)

So after me waffling…. My question’s are….

What is the best clip for the bottom of my shoe? It has 3 holes in the shape of a triangle, is that standard for road shoes?

I have heard of floats but don’t understand them, in the label on my new shoe (that I can’t wear yet) It says “ SPD-SL cleat with pontoon for walking?

And also what type of pedals for the bike will I need? I don’t want to order them off the net and they be the wrong ones….

I’m looking at Shimano pedals but the Shimano Dura Ace, that some people have mentioned I cant afford L …… but are these the type of pedals that I need? Are these ones any good http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shimano_105_5610_SPD-SL_Pedals/5360031902/?

DO all SPD-SL pedals fit all Road shoes? With the 3 triangle holes in the bottom? Or are their a number of different versions?

or would it be better for me to buy this - shimano cleat adaptor? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shimano_SH-SM85_Cleat_Adapter_Plate/5360017170/

But are SPD-SL pedals easier to get in than using the MTB clipless pedals?

I’m so confused….

I took the bike out yesterday for a longish 42mile ride & have hurt the rear of my leg behind my knee, so wont be back out on the bike for a bit L I hope it aint nothing serious…:girl:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You are used to MTB pedals, so how about returning the shoes to Wiggle, their returns service is excellent. And buy the MTB version of the shoe?

Save faffing about getting buying/getting used to a new pedal system.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
what is the deal with the soles on shoes like these?
dhb-r1-ladies-shoes-med.jpg

would these take road cleats AND mtb spd cleats or are they designed for different makes of road cleats.

In response to the OP, send em back and get something else I would say Spesh Tahoe's as beloved of all my girl friends, but wiggle don't do spesh it appears. The dhb own brand stuff is pretty good value though.

Norm

ianrauk said:
You are used to MTB pedals, so how about returning the shoes to Wiggle, their returns service is excellent. And buy the MTB version of the shoe?

Save faffing about getting buying/getting used to a new pedal system.
+1

Not sure what Wiggle's policy is but the Distance Selling Regs say that you can return them within, IIRC, 7 days of receipt for full refund including postage. They may charge a reasonable re-stocking fee but only if they have made it clear before the purchase.

Don't mess up everything for the sake of one wrong purchase. Send them back and get the right ones next time. :sad:

OP
OP
C

Cat

Greg, the holes are the same on them shoes minus the long lines.... just the 3 holes....

I have never used my MTB Pedals with the clipless shoes, i have the ones where you can reverse to wear clipless or normal trainers, i got them with the bike back in 2008.

I have heard that the road pedals are easier to clip in as they have a wider plateform? but dont know if thats true.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
GregCollins said:
what is the deal with the soles on shoes like these?
dhb-r1-ladies-shoes-med.jpg

would these take road cleats AND mtb spd cleats or are they designed for different makes of road cleats.

In response to the OP, send em back and get something else I would say Spesh Tahoe's as beloved of all my girl friends, but wiggle don't do spesh it appears. The dhb own brand stuff is pretty good value though.

They can take both.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Cat said:
Greg, the holes are the same on them shoes minus the long lines.... just the 3 holes....

I have never used my MTB Pedals with the clipless shoes, i have the ones where you can reverse to wear clipless or normal trainers, i got them with the bike back in 2008.

I have heard that the road pedals are easier to clip in as they have a wider plateform? but dont know if thats true.

Yup, road only shoes! My shoes are road only. If I were you I would return them. Its not really worth the monetary outlay or the learning curve to go buying pedals to suit your shoes.

OP
OP
C

Cat

Here is the picture of the bottom of my shoe... was ment to attach one earlier but forgot :sad:

OP
OP
C

Cat

Do you think the Shimano Cleat Adaptor will fit my shoe and MTB pedals?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Sh...te/5360017170/

OP
OP
C

Cat

I've had a thought, im gonna stick with the shoes i have, i know its more money i have to spend out, but i think the road pedals maybe better as they are bigger, if that makes sense.

I just need to know what ones will fit my shoes and what clips i have to get.

Thanks everyone for your replys

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
gaz said:
They can take both.

see now that IS a good idea. So you can put mtb cleats on, still waddle like an inebriated duck and really really scuff up wooden café floors.

Such an arrangement could convert me to road shoes if I can keep my mtb spds. Splendid.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Cat said:
I've had a thought, im gonna stick with the shoes i have, i know its more money i have to spend out, but i think the road pedals maybe better as they are bigger, if that makes sense.

I just need to know what ones will fit my shoes and what clips i have to get.

Thanks everyone for your replys

Take the shoes to the shop, the cleats will come with the pedals.

and get ready to learn how to walk all over again......

Top Bottom