New shoes! SPD or Look's type?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stef 1

Hi - I have some birthday money to spend.

I've decided to replace my urban, skate shoe style SPD shoes that I purchased over 3 years when I first started riding clipped-in for my commute, which I also wore whilst at work. They a bit battered, I've already glued the sole etc...

My bike is a steel frame 2104 CDF, so cyclo-cross style, but I put on 28mm road tyres once the winter / wet weather is over....

My question is if I should upgrade / move over to looks-style cleats and pedals or stick with SPD? The SPDs have been fine for me, but then I don't know any different.

The cleat / pedal type obvoously makes a difference to the shoe I choose too. SPD being more flexible, walkable, Look's-style much more ridged, less walkable.

The only walking I do in my cycle shoes is from back door to garage to get out the bike, after than I"m peddling. I no longer commute (work from home) but still cycle everyday. Therefore walkability isn't an issue

Will I really notice or feel much a difference if I change to the 3 bolt variety? Will the stiffness and bigger pedal base really help with peddling efficiency?

I currently looking at Grio Republic (flexible soled SPD) or Giro Empire (ridgid, 3 bolt). Even considereing the new knitted mesh styles... wouldn't ususally spend that much, but its birthday cash in my sat in my wallet! :smile:

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Most important is that the shoes are comfortable. Try a few on. SPD soles can be as stiff

SPD vs SPD-SL minimal differences which you'll likely not notice. Stiffness of sole and comfort of shoe most important for long rides. If the latter, you'll need to consider float too. You'll need to replace cleats more regardless of walking (never have to replace SPDs)

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
I started with SPDs as I commute, and the walkability factor was a huge consideration, now I have SPDs on all my bikes, and several sets of shoes all setup the same. Means I don't have to think about what goes with what, I can just grab something and go.

So I'd suggest getting another SPD style shoe, then you can always use the old shoes as a spare if the others are wet or the weather is fairly poor.

OP
OP
Stef 1

Stef 1

Thanks - The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking of staying SPD... don't really plan to need to do any walking, but hoping to get the kids out more this year too, so stop/starting to help them out an inevitiablility... plus I'm less like likely to slip and spill my beer on the rare occasation the weather's kind enough to pedal to the pub for lunch!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If you don't have an issue currently with SPD I would stick with them. I only switched to SPD-SL for longer rides due to hot spots (I tried wider shoes too), I would prefer to be using SPD and still do for commutes.

si_c

Guru
If you don't have an issue currently with SPD I would stick with them. I only switched to SPD-SL for longer rides due to hot spots (I tried wider shoes too), I would prefer to be using SPD and still do for commutes.
Did you try a larger platform SPD pedal like the PD-M530?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
SPDs on everything for me, road bike, hybrid & mtb. Can't really see why anyone would want to use a single sided pedal if the SPD system is already working for them? The flexibility of using any shoe on any bike for any ride can't be underrated and the simple walkaroundability of the properly soled shoes is a boon.
SPDs are definitely great and if you buy shoes with reasonably stiff soles then the so-called 'hot spot problem' really should not be an issue. (I have experienced the problem and it was not nice, but it was due to over-long cleat bolts in one case and over-flexy soles another time.)

All of my bikes now have SPD pedals and I prefer double-sided for ease of use. I had a pair of single-sided SPD pedals lying around in my spares box for years but no CycleChatter took me up on my generous offer to flog 'em for £10 so I now have them on my singlespeed bike. They are good pedals but clipping in is more tricky than on the double-sided type.

I had Look pedals on my best bike but swapped them for SPDs after nearly faceplanting on a 25% climb when my foot slipped on the road during an emergency can't-get-up-this-b*st*rd-today dismount! :laugh:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I use spd on the winter/touring bike with single sided A520, quite a large platform to avoid the hotspot issue that I had on longer rides with smaller spd pedals. Look fitted onto the summer bike & much prefer them when cycling, but a PITA for walking in :blush:

Milzy

Guru
I use spd on the winter/touring bike with single sided A520, quite a large platform to avoid the hotspot issue that I had on longer rides with smaller spd pedals. Look fitted onto the summer bike & much prefer them when cycling, but a PITA for walking in :blush:
I’ve been using the A600 pedals and they are so good. To buy them now they’re £80. I don’t remember paying that a few years back. They’ve gone up at least £20. SPD for me on everything. Sometimes flats on MTB if it’s going to be technical.

OP
OP
Stef 1

Stef 1

Well, I stuck with SPDs.

My new shoes arrived today. I did pop into my LBS, but they only have a handful of shoes and I'm not overly into the super techy look so I took a gamble and ordered online. I usually end up ordering 2 or 3 pairs to get the right fit and sending a bunch back, but this time first pair fitted perfect.

I went for the Giro Rebublic Knit. Have to say there are super comfy even on my wide feet (I think laces help there) and a whole lot stiffer than my previous DZR skate look-a-likes I used for commuting / wearing at work. The knit upper looks super breathable (well it would be with all those holes).

I read alot about the Giro Republic not fitting a lot of peddles, but went for a 5mile spin and can clip into mine just fine with no shims or anything. Slightly tricker to unclip, but nothing I can't get over. I guess my biggest concern is how the xnetic knit up will hold up, but it's tougher looking / more durable that the pics lead me to beleive. Time will tell.

I'll re-glue my old DZRs back together and keep 'em for wet / muddy days... maybe buy something water proof after the summer....

Thanks for all your input – glad I stuck with the SPD.. for now at least! I'm still keen to try siffer shoes, wider clips at somepoint, just 'cos it's something I've no experince of.

Last edited:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Thanks for all your input – glad I stuck with the SPD.. for now at least! I'm still keen to try siffer shoes, wider clips at somepoint, just 'cos it's something I've no experince of.

Maybe there is someone local who could lend you a pair of spd-sl/look etc type shoes & pedals for a ride or two & see how they compare for you before spending more ££ that you may regret :okay:

PS The Giros look nice:smile: Not sure how good they'll be in winter though :blush:

Heigue'r

Veteran
Well, I stuck with SPDs.

My new shoes arrived today. I did pop into my LBS, but they only have a handful of shoes and I'm not overly into the super techy look so I took a gamble and ordered online. I usually end up ordering 2 or 3 pairs to get the right fit and sending a bunch back, but this time first pair fitted perfect.

Nice shoes,did you just go with the size guide or size up/down?..also what pedals are you using?
Thanks

Top Bottom