New shoes! SPD or Look's type?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Stef 1

Stef 1

Just been out in them again, this time with my boy for a sunset cruise... pretty much too slow to clip-in, but I rate them so far. Really comfy.
Have a day off tomorrow so will nip out for a couple of hours as the weather's fine – Im 99% sure they'll be good, but will report back if there's any issues. I've only done 10 slow miles in them so far, so really too early to say, but they are comfy.

I'd say they're true to size. I'm somehwere between 10.5 and 11 (closer to 11). I have wide feet with one foot bigger than the other. :/ My wife would probably say 'freak'. Anyhow, I got the Euro 46 size and they're a good fit. Had them laced fairly loose this evening, and there was a bit of heel slip when walking, but they were not done up tight and have stiff soles so to be expected I guess...

I'm a bit embarraeesed by my pedals... they're Shimano, but flat on one side, SPD on the other. Weighted so the clips always face up. Can't remember what number / model. I'll find out. Bought them when I first tried clipless years ago... incase it didn't go well. I always clip in though, so was going to upgrade to M540's (clips on both sides) recently, but going slow this evening, start/stopping with my son made realise that occasionally having the flat side is useful!

// EDIT
They're Shimano PD-A530 single sided touring peddles.
I was a little unsure the shoes had enoguh twist room for easy unclipping (due to their walking treads), but tonight's cruise prooved they're fine.... no probs there. I guess bigger size shoes probably have a little more clearance...

shimano-pda530-med.jpg

Last edited:

Heigue'r

Veteran
Thank you very much for such a detailed reply.Im looking for something a bit airy and these look very nice for an spd shoe

OP
OP
Stef 1

Stef 1

Lol, I know what u mean!

A foot behind and wide of him, 5kph... 50 yards... little’un slams on the anchors, ‘dad I got an itchy nose’. Get going again... wobbling between 3 - 7 kph, little’un slams on anchors, ‘I’ve just seen 12 bunny rabits’... and repeat.... for 5 miles. We did briefly manage to reach a stonking 12 kph going down hill on way back though! :heat:

There wasn’t much point clipping in most of the time really. Still, a magic hour to spend with my lad as the sun was sinking low....

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Just been out in them again, this time with my boy for a sunset cruise... pretty much too slow to clip-in, but I rate them so far. Really comfy.
Have a day off tomorrow so will nip out for a couple of hours as the weather's fine – Im 99% sure they'll be good, but will report back if there's any issues. I've only done 10 slow miles in them so far, so really too early to say, but they are comfy.

I'd say they're true to size. I'm somehwere between 10.5 and 11 (closer to 11). I have wide feet with one foot bigger than the other. :/ My wife would probably say 'freak'. Anyhow, I got the Euro 46 size and they're a good fit. Had them laced fairly loose this evening, and there was a bit of heel slip when walking, but they were not done up tight and have stiff soles so to be expected I guess...

I'm a bit embarraeesed by my pedals... they're Shimano, but flat on one side, SPD on the other. Weighted so the clips always face up. Can't remember what number / model. I'll find out. Bought them when I first tried clipless years ago... incase it didn't go well. I always clip in though, so was going to upgrade to M540's (clips on both sides) recently, but going slow this evening, start/stopping with my son made realise that occasionally having the flat side is useful!

// EDIT
I was a little unsure the shoes had enoguh twist room for easy unclipping (due to their walking treads), but tonight's cruise prooved they're fine.... no probs there. I guess bigger size shoes probably have a little more clearance...

View attachment 405043
I really like those pedals. On the rare occasion I don't clip in first time because the pedal is ''upside down'', I get a solid and safe flat surface - then if I lift off the pedal for one revolution, it comes round all clippety-clip.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
// EDIT

View attachment 405043
Ah, they look like a real improvement on the A520s that I have. The A520s do not have the flat underside, which was a stupid design decision!

shimano-a520-pedal-bottom-view-jpg.jpg

I have just realised that the scratches on the undersides of those pedals were NOT caused by grounding the pedals, as I had first thought. They would be caused by the metal cleats slipping on the inverted pedals when trying to clip in!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The only problem I have with the A530 is the difference in effective saddle height depending on what shoe/side combination I go with.

OP
OP
Stef 1

Stef 1

Quick update - just in case anyone is thinking of getting any... I've cycled daily since getting the Giro Republic knit - approx 150km so far.
In warmer weather (like the end of last week) they're absolutely great - comfy and can feel the breeze between my toes slightly, even through thin sports socks.

A couple of morning rides though I've had chilly/cold toes. this morning it was only around 7ºC when I went out. Been back 20 mins and my toes are still warming up.

I would also say the fit is ever-so-slightly on the small side. I usually take size 11 shoes, although I know I'm slightly under size 11. The Euro 46 fit perfectly on one foot, but it ever so slightly small on the other – I do have wide feet though. Nothing that cann't be fixed with a bit of time / give in the material or adjusting of the laces.

Wore them for a 3-hour ride on Saturday and all was good. No problem clipping in or out of my SPD pedals.

There you go. An utterly pointless post, except for the 2 people who might one-day procrastinate and research stuff online as much as I do before buying!

Cheers

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Ah, they look like a real improvement on the A520s that I have. The A520s do not have the flat underside, which was a stupid design decision!

View attachment 405090

I have just realised that the scratches on the undersides of those pedals were NOT caused by grounding the pedals, as I had first thought. They would be caused by the metal cleats slipping on the inverted pedals when trying to clip in!
horses for courses A520 are designed as single sided only for use with cleats, and give more support than double sided M520. A530 are for use with cleats and "normal shoes" but bullied and heavier as a result.
trying to clip in on the wrong side of your A520s isn't recommended :smile:

Toe covers - I can recommend the dhb neoprene ones from wiggle - for a tenner, they're well made and stonking value. Bit warm for the summer though -Endura do some thin membrane ones for that.

OP
OP
Stef 1

Stef 1

Thanks - I will probably look into toe covers again in autumn. For me, wearing those giro knit shoes (which, btw, I’m still loving several hundred km later) anything below 8degree c gets a bit too cold... nothing wearing two pairs of socks hasn’t fixed tho!

I nearly splashed out on really expensive le col toe covers (only cos I had a Strava discount code) until I came to my senses. A tenner on dhb ones sounds a much better option!

Last edited:
Top Bottom