New small LBS worth supporting near Bury, Lancs.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
DJ Cycles has opened up in a small new shop opposite Four Ways shopping centre in Holcombe Brook, Bury. This is opposite the Hare & Hounds pub at the foot of the cobbled track up to the Peel tower. The shop is owned by Damian, all-round Good Bloke and ex-top mechanic from Mike Cookson Cycles and then Leisure Lakes. Damian built my first proper MTB, a Kona Explosif (how I miss it!) and did a fine job. He's also a dab hand at wheel building. Please support him if you can, he deserves it.

Here: http://www.djcyclesuk.com/

You've made me homesick now...all the best of luck to him.

U

User482

It's been open a while now - I was in there last autumn. Small shop but some nice stuff, and friendly staff. I'm not convinced it's a viable business (the only other bike shop in that area closed years ago) but time will tell. Hopefully the online shop will keep it going.

The shop was formerly a barbers, run by the locally famous "Mad Mick". It was always best not to make jokes about Man City in front of him, especially when he had his cut throat in hand...

simoncc

I might have a look in. I've had a soft spot for Mike Cookson's shop ever since I first went there because after much ringing round it was the only place open on Princess Diana's funeral day when I needed bits for my MTB for a race the next day.

User482 said:
It's been open a while now - I was in there last autumn. Small shop but some nice stuff, and friendly staff. I'm not convinced it's a viable business (the only other bike shop in that area closed years ago) but time will tell. Hopefully the online shop will keep it going.

The shop was formerly a barbers, run by the locally famous "Mad Mick". It was always best not to make jokes about Man City in front of him, especially when he had his cut throat in hand...

Yes I remember mad mick...he had the same 70s photos in his window for years and years...

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I never went inside, even when I lived in Summerseat. However I did go into the butcher's shop in the village, the butcher was about 75 and had no idea about presentation - it looked as if somebody had herded a couple of sheep, a pig and a cow into his shed then tossed in a grenade and slammed the door. He got closed down because he owed the revenue £70,000. Shame, because he used to sell good fatty meat.

Rigid Raider said:
I never went inside, even when I lived in Summerseat. However I did go into the butcher's shop in the village, the butcher was about 75 and had no idea about presentation - it looked as if somebody had herded a couple of sheep, a pig and a cow into his shed then tossed in a grenade and slammed the door. He got closed down because he owed the revenue £70,000. Shame, because he used to sell good fatty meat.

You're talking about Mr Nabb! He was our family butcher for years and years. We used to go in there on a saturday morning and spend what seemed like 4 hours in there. He used to give us huge mugs of sweet tea, and for the adults, there was a tot of whisky in there too. He was a brilliant butcher - everything was top quality. He died a broken man because of the revenue...it was really sad.

gbb

Legendary Member
Rigid Raider said:

:angry::biggrin::biggrin: Made me laugh on a so far technically VERY challenging day...that means machinery has broken down......and i can't fix it :angry::biggrin:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
whilst we're here RR, do you mind me putting a post up for my mate's new bike shop in central manchester- I guess they won't be competing for too much trade......

Anyways, it's called GBH cycles and it's just behind tib st. chippy in the so-called 'northern quarter' they're putting together 'city bikes', fixies, mtbs, owt you like- good pair of lads- Check 'em out if you're ever down there.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Oooh I will - I am trying to find time to try the Cedar Tree Lebanese restaurant at 69 Thomas Street - except that every time I go it's closed. I love Lebanese food and it has good writeups.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Kirstie said:
You're talking about Mr Nabb! He was our family butcher for years and years. We used to go in there on a saturday morning and spend what seemed like 4 hours in there. He used to give us huge mugs of sweet tea, and for the adults, there was a tot of whisky in there too. He was a brilliant butcher - everything was top quality. He died a broken man because of the revenue...it was really sad.

Ah! Nabb was his name, was it? He had a row of chairs for customers to sit on while they waited. I once sat for a good 30 minutes while he sorted out a customer's order, all the while chatting and gossiping about this and that. He wrote all the prices on a piece of paper with a pencil, bundled it all up then realised he had lost the paper so he had to unwrap everything and weigh it again. He would always pack a piece of fat for you to baste the meat with.

I once watched him butcher a whole sheep's carcass just to get a certain cut for a customer, he went down the spine with a chopper and neatly bisected it in two. He served me some cooked meat, which he cut with a bloodied and crusty raw meat knife - I didn't have the courage to eat it and by two days later it was absolutely high so I threw it away. I also once had a brisket from him, it was lying in the window sill in the sun and smelling distinctly off, but after slow cooked it literally fell apart when I tried to carve it. The state of his shop was the reason why a village friend's son turned vegetarian!

U

User482

My mum went in there once and heard the butcher making some outrageously racist comments. None of us ever went back. Warmsley's in Ramsbottom was and is much better anyway.

I always used to get my hair cut in Mad Mick's - as long as you wanted a short back and sides you were ok.

Top Bottom