New SS/fixed rider. Gearing Q.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aaronjoy

Regular
Hi everyone, I just took delivery of a 2nd hand mint condition 2011 Trek triton today and gave it a good clean and setup. Cycled to and from work using the freewheel side and it was enjoyable, however the gearing seems a bit spinny. Using the freewheel the gearing is 48/20, and the fixed is 48/16, which would suit an area like the cotswolds?

I'm tempted to try the fixed side as I haven't ridden fixed before. I have a decent front and back brake fitted too.

Just ordered some michelin pro 4 endurance tyres for the winter as I'm wanting to use it throughout the winter as a commuter and a training bike. I've got a couple of years experience riding geared road bikes but my fitness and weight have taken a hit recently so I thought to spicen things up, hence the single speed.

Sharky

Guru
Hi, don't know what the Cotswolds are like, but I would think a 48x20 is a bit low and the 48x16 a bit on the high side. But forget the numbers, the beauty of a fixed cog or a cheap freewheel is that they are cheap and it is best just to go out and find a few hills and test your self. You'll soon know if the gear is too high.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi everyone, I just took delivery of a 2nd hand mint condition 2011 Trek triton today and gave it a good clean and setup. Cycled to and from work using the freewheel side and it was enjoyable, however the gearing seems a bit spinny. Using the freewheel the gearing is 48/20, and the fixed is 48/16, which would suit an area like the cotswolds?

I'm tempted to try the fixed side as I haven't ridden fixed before. I have a decent front and back brake fitted too.

Just ordered some michelin pro 4 endurance tyres for the winter as I'm wanting to use it throughout the winter as a commuter and a training bike. I've got a couple of years experience riding geared road bikes but my fitness and weight have taken a hit recently so I thought to spicen things up, hence the single speed.
First get an inch-gear chart to compare ratios.
Secondly i think you'll find you can climb better on a fixed compared to a freewheel of same ratio.
Finally, it depends also on how you ride, whether you're more spinny or grindy.
As said, fixed cogs are cheap to buy - look at the "single-speed componants" website for all you need to know!

OP
OP
Aaronjoy

Aaronjoy

Regular
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll flip it to the fixed 16t as I might feel a bit more comfortable at that cadence. I prefer bigger gears than the 20 which doesn't allow me to actually feel like I'm even effectively pedalling to drive the bike forward. Hopefully I'll be going out on a decent training ride this week

Broadside

Guru
When I first went fixed I thought the bike was under geared and a bit spinny. Ride the bike on more routes and hills, you will find that your initial view of it being spinny may well change! Fixed 48x16 in the Cotswolds might be a bit punchy initially. I ride 48x16 but I am in Hants where there are options to avoid big hills, I find I can manage 10% hills for about 300-400 metres, I am avoiding anything longer or steeper until I get fitter :-)

48x20 is only about 63" which is pretty spinny, 48 x 16 is 79"'ish and might be a bit high in a hilly area. I've ridden a 72" fixed gear in the Cotswold hills and whilst I didn't actually have to get off and walk it was a close thing a couple of times. Changing to a 17 or 18 sprocket depending on the local gradients (and your legs) would probably be in the right ball park.

Fab Foodie

When I was a young rollie-smoking stripling i regularly rode Ditchlng Beacon on 73", but now being a tad more portly i opted for 70" as a start (44x17) and will stick a 16T on the other side for 74" on flatter runs.

OP
OP
Aaronjoy

Aaronjoy

Regular
I just tried the 16 fixed quickly and man alive was it strange! It'll take me a while to get used to. How do I tell which fixed/sprocket will fit my bike? Or are they universal? I think I'll get a fixed and a freewheel 18t to play around with while I get used to it.

Fab Foodie

I just tried the 16 fixed quickly and man alive was it strange! It'll take me a while to get used to. How do I tell which fixed/sprocket will fit my bike? Or are they universal? I think I'll get a fixed and a freewheel 18t to play around with while I get used to it.
It feels strange!
But when used to it it feels wonderful and then geared/freewheel bikes feel slow and inefficient!

Cogs should be universal.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
You're not that far from me and probably riding on similar roads; I've been using 48x17 for ages and it's a good compromise for most of the time.

When I used to commute around Heathrow I used 46x17 which gave a bit more acceleration from junctions.

Don't waste too much time riding fixed! It's overrated...

Venod

Eh up
Just aquired a new (to me) fixie it was geared at 44 x 16 with 23mm tyres, this is about a 72" I have changed to 44 x 17 with 25mm this gives me 68.5" as I like to spin I am happer with this gearing and hills are a little easier.

Sharky

Guru
Might be of interest - "Medium Gear" -

72" was the limit for early season fixed wheel TT's and you'll be impressed by some of the speeds achieved:-
http://www.fixedwheel.co.uk/medium gear history.htm

I was a bit too young to get involved with medium gear events. They are still going on, but I think they died out during the 60's.
My first roadie was a fixed, but moved onto gears, then many years later built a fixed again and for last 20 years have been racing on fixed on gears that would make your eyes water (50x14), but for flat TT courses is probably a lot lower than the gear ridden by many on carbon 22 geared bikes.

Fab Foodie

You're not that far from me and probably riding on similar roads; I've been using 48x17 for ages and it's a good compromise for most of the time.

When I used to commute around Heathrow I used 46x17 which gave a bit more acceleration from junctions.

Don't waste too much time riding fixed! It's overrated...
Overated? Fixed?
Where's my burning heretic image...

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I ride 83.8" or 73.4" depending on the terrain. I have 44 X 14 and 44 X 16. Ideally I would just buy a 15 sprocket and just stop messing around, but somehow I never get around to collecting enough of a minimum order for free postage.

Top Bottom