New Stem ,Steerer Tube now slightly long.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Forgive me if I have got the terminology wrong but I just changed the stem on my roadbike and had to remove one spacer to get it fully onto the steerer tube .

This now leaves the tube slightly proud (about 1 mm) above the stem,you can barely see it with the cap screwed on ,does this matter?

I just rode the bike a few miles and it feels good ,I would rather not cut or file the tube down as that is then irreversable should I ever want to put the longer stem back on.

Hoping for a long ride tommorow to make sure Im am totally happy with the new stem,any advice on what to look for re the effect on the bike of the new stem other than the ride position which feels good so far?

dodgy

If I understand you correctly, I think it does matter. Get some new spacers of varying sizes to help you fine tune the fit. The steerer tube should be a few mms lower than the stem otherwise it's difficult to properly tighten the steerer bolt.

lukesdad

The steerer tube bolt into the star nut is to take up the slack in the bearings. it should be tightened just enough to take the play out of the bearings but not tight enough to restrict steering. The stem clamp bolts hold evrything in place and should be tightened to corect torque settings.

The steerer tube should not sit proud of the stem. A little short is Ok.So Id get a combination of spacers that gives you the least drop 3 or 4mm shouldnt make much difference in my opinion.

You need a 5mm spacer as Dodgy says. The steerer top nut must tighten against the stem/spacer to draw the steerer up until the desired position is reached.

When you tighten up the steerer nut if it is too slack you will feel play when applying the brakes and trying to push the front wheel at the same time. If you overtighten then the turn on the bars will feel rough.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Thanks for the quick replies. It sounds as if I can put the original spacer back on if 3 or 4 mm down doesnt matter?

Its about a 5mm spacer and if its 1 mm proud now it will be 4 mm down with it back in place.

lukesdad

That should be fine make sure your steerer tube bolt is long enough to thread well into the tube nut.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
don't forget that the top bolt is only to take up the slack until the stem clamp is in place. After that it could be left off but certainly worth loosening off slightly.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

MacB said:
don't forget that the top bolt is only to take up the slack until the stem clamp is in place. After that it could be left off but certainly worth loosening off slightly.

I didnt know that .Thanks.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
mickle said:
Sorry but that's wrong.

In what way, though I meant steerer clamp, but my bike shop instructed me to loosen off half a turn once the stem is tightened on the steerer. Sheldon also indicates that you can leave the star nut bolt out altogether once tightened.

The top-cap and its bolt can indeed safely be removed once the stem's steerer bolts have been correctly tightened but there is no earthly reason for loosening it off half a turn. I'd certainly be interested to hear the 'reasoning' behind such a notion. For a laugh.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
The only thing the top cap does is to tension the headset. So if you tighten it till its tight, then clamp the stem bolts, you can remove the top cap, but you need to maintain the tension.

If you are happy with the stem position and don't want to cut the steerer tube, there is nothing wrong with having a spacer on top of the stem, rather than under..

Top Bottom