New style brompton gear change mechanism help..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ukoldschool

Hi all, has anybody taken apart or have a diagram of the new style gear changer?

This type:
gear.jpg

Mine is not returning when engaging down into '1', i'm sure its something simple like a spring not seated correctly, but Id rather know what was in there before I take it apart....

thanks

Wilder

Before taking it apart have you checked that there's just not too much tension in the gear cable preventing it from latching into the 1 position? You can could check this by disconnecting the gear cable from the rear hub in the same way you'd take it off to fix a flat tyre.

OP
OP
ukoldschool

ukoldschool

Hi, yes I have checked that. I think the problem has stemmed from the fact that the little chain thingy in the hub was screwed all the way in until it couldn't turn anymore, and it was therefore not at the correct angle for a decent gear change, so when I needed to go down to gear 2 (which is whilst coming up quite a steep hill) it wouldn't change down, and in my 'effort' to get it to change I think i pushed it past its 'stop'... I have now backed the chain thingy off and set it up correctly, and it does change fine it just doesn't return (indicates 3rd and 2nd gears fine, just doesn't seem to work for 1st)

OP
OP
ukoldschool

ukoldschool

Bill

I have one of these. On the good photo supplied you can see the gear change lever. As I fitted bar ends the lever got in the way and changed gear without me knowing!! I sawed off the end of the lever and now have decent room and noral gear changing...I also removed the daft, useless bell and replaced with a 'ding-dong' one.

Bodhbh

Guru
Wish I'd seen that photo earlier. I was deciding between upgrading the old fashioned SA shifter on my 90s model to a thumbshifter or the triggershifter, and the photos I googled of the triggershifter all had it in a stupid position pointing up from the bars like the old SA shifter....so thought bugger that. That looks quite tidy.

Top Bottom