New technology embraced in 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I must admit I've been wondering if its time I handed in my trusty cycle computer and got myself a Garmin, only wondering though, I rarely ride on roads that I don't know and I'm sure that getting the device and the computer to talk to each other will be a challenge, the down side of linux.
I can't speak from experience of the latest models but my older Garmins (305/705/Dakota) play nicely with Debian (and Android). I believe most of the newer devices will mount as a USB drive.

I have never used a cycle computer. Being a minimalist who hates attaching unnecessary stuff to my bikes, I avoided them. Then I found myself carrying my skiing/walking GPS in a pocket to see where I had been and upgraded to a Garmin when Aldi were selling them cheap. Dead easy to upload to a computer and Strava. Even got Mrs A to use one, and she is a bit of a Luddite.

I have never used a cycle computer. Being a minimalist who hates attaching unnecessary stuff to my bikes, I avoided them. Then I found myself carrying my skiing/walking GPS in a pocket to see where I had been and upgraded to a Garmin when Aldi were selling them cheap. Dead easy to upload to a computer and Strava. Even got Mrs A to use one, and she is a bit of a Luddite.
I'm always worried these things would hamper the performance of my rod brakes...

Globalti

Legendary Member
I used to have a Huret speedometer on my Raleigh:

4029547315_a684818790_b.jpg

Attachments

• 4029547315_a684818790_b.jpg
    4029547315_a684818790_b.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 31

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I used to have one of those. I also had an old Ingersoll wristwatch strapped to my handlebars, which I would zero to 12 at the start of a ride. These two, in combination with a bit of mental arithmetic, gave me a constant Garmin-like readout of average speed.

I remember when I was about 17 I went touring with a friend who came from a quite cycling-keen family (his dad and older brother were a club racers I think). He looked critically at my tatty, uncool, hand cobbled bike and luggage. His withering comment about my mileometer: "Hmph. My mum has one of those."

tyred

Legendary Member
I was thinking of getting one of those new fangled electric lights. My oil lamp keeps blowing out in headwinds.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I took to the Kindle and the Surface Pro 4. Reading about cycling, and planning routes to cycle got a whole lot more convenient.

mythste

Veteran
During 2015 I have embraced quite a few more modern cycling aids ... Does this mean the start of the end for older technology like steel bikes!

So in 2015 I started using the following things, Sti's, Spd clip in pedals,alloy framed bikes, Carbon forks, Garmin 200 and just had a Garmin Virb for my birthday .

Do people think that this might be the start of something happening in the way I cycle?

Be glad its taken you this long, I hear some of those can be a bugger to get rid of :laugh:

Top Bottom