New technology, old bicycle - Frankenbike is alive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
image.jpg
Ok so after stripping down the Humber that I had converted to fixed but then swapped that gear to the raleigh I was at a loss at what to do with the frame.

Seeing as I had tinkered with the frame to take modern wheels I've decided to make a vintage/modern hybrid from all of the spare pieces I have around.

Here's the first picture of what it's going to look like. I haven't decided on the stem or bars yet so opinions are gratefully accepted.

1 finish as is - would be ok but I wanted to put the original lights on which I can't do with this stem.
2 dig out original stem and keep the modern flat bars - I'm really undecided on this option.
3 put the original stem and handlebars back on (think they are northroad) and hope the brakes and shifters fit.
4 get some brifters and put drop bars on (didn't really want to spend any money).

I also have some twist grip shifters as well so any of the options above with these is possible as well.

Just rummaging through all my bits to find some cable clamps and guides.

I have also changed the brakes to some modern dual pivots.

I'm really quite excited to see how this bicycle turns out.

OP
OP
Tony Raynor

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Ok decided to go with the old bars. Got them on and the brakes mounted. Only problem is that you need to be well over 6ft to get on this damn thing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 43
OP
OP
Tony Raynor

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Ok got this sort of finished. Took it for a test drive and the chain is slipping in 6th and 7th. I'm hoping a new chain will sort it out, but any advice would be great as the idea was to make it from parts I had (except fir the new cables).

image.jpg

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Do you still have the original wheels?? I could do with a pair. Also how old is the frame, is it a Raleigh version?? (Humber were taken over by Raleigh in 1932).

I can't say I entirely approve of doing that to an old Humber, but hey, if it is being used, that is half the battle!! :giggle:

Thanks

Top Bottom