1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Tiagra STIs - shims with bikes?

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Stick on a Giant, 23 Jan 2008.

1. Stick on a Giant

Stick on a Giant New Member

Hi. Does anyone know whether new bikes supplied with Tiagra levers also come with the shims that can be used to adjust reach, which you get if you buy it as a groupset? The LBS doesn't know, and although they'll upgrade the levers to the R700 reach-adjustable ones if we pay the difference, I'd rather avoid this if poss.

And if they don't, has anyone bought the groupset and has the shims going spare?

Cheers

2. chris42

chris42 New Member

I just got a pinnicle from evans as a winter bike, it has Tigra but def no shims with it.

3. kyuss

kyuss Senior Member

Nope, no shims on my Tiagra equipped commuter either. Got it a few years back mind.

4. Wheezy Rider

Wheezy Rider Senior Member

First post here, so be kind!

Just bought a Country Explorer from the Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op and it has Tiagra fitted. No shims fitted but they gave me the thin shims (4mm) and they will supply the thick ones (8mm) if i need them.

5. killiekosmos

killiekosmos Über Member

I bought a Giant SCR 2 last year. It came with the shims - it took me a wee while to work out what they were. I fitted them and it made a big difference to by braking.

6. Crackle

Crackle Pah Staff Member

Will the Ultegra or 105 shims not fit? Evans and lakes leisure sell them.

7. Stick on a Giant

Stick on a Giant New Member

Crackle, no, the other sizes don't fit, but the LBS has now confirmed that they can get hold of the required shims, so Mrs G will be able to stop going down hills now.

Thanks for comments.