New time theory

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gwylan

Veteran
I have observed that during the course of the day time moves at different speeds.

For example, I roll over the clock says that it is 0800. Nothing much doing until lunch time, so snuggle down for 10 mins

Next thing I know the clock is telling me it's 0930.

Suddenly it's lunch time and I should have started the pizza dough sooner.
Now a glacial ages passes waiting for the dough to prove and all that.
Put the pizza in the oven, it needs 15mins. Time to pop to the garage and check the bike battery on charge

Come back to nearly crenated pizza.

Post lunch, 1430, a snooze. Wake up, 1600, realize that whilst I was out the time bandits stole more than an hour.

Cup of tea, 1630, plan supper. Now it takes a lifetime to get to 1800 and G&T time.

Drift through the evening to bed time, 1100. Then realize there was an email I should have sent.

Next thing it's 0045 and I'm getting into bed.

Or is it just me?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Sounds about right. You are not alone and time is elastic......

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Settle an argument please:

Is midnight 24.00 or 00.00 or both?

Not bothered what timepieces do, just which is correct?

a.twiddler

Veteran
23:59:59 clicks over to 00:00:00 when it all starts again. For the sake of convenience 24:00 is used in some quarters but in reality it doesn't exist. No matter how much you subdivide those seconds, the last division clicks over to 00:00:00 not 24:00:00. Disregarding that each civilisation through the millennia has developed their own way of measuring time, as the units until relatively recently weren't even universal, which introduces more confusion, as well as the Earth varying its time taken to orbit the sun, and the time taken to complete one revolution about its axis.

As for time being elastic, I've always been a night owl, but when I've dragged myself out of bed extra early I always find I get disproportionally more done during the day than you would expect in terms of actual hours. So, if you want to have less chance of burning the pizza, get up early! You might still end up burning it, but the likelihood is apparently reduced.

I can't explain it. It's illogical, Captain. It's been known about seemingly for ever, hence the saying, "ten miles travelled before breakfast is worth twenty travelled after".

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I have observed that during the course of the day time moves at different speeds.

For example, I roll over the clock says that it is 0800. Nothing much doing until lunch time, so snuggle down for 10 mins

Next thing I know the clock is telling me it's 0930.

Suddenly it's lunch time and I should have started the pizza dough sooner.
Now a glacial ages passes waiting for the dough to prove and all that.
Put the pizza in the oven, it needs 15mins. Time to pop to the garage and check the bike battery on charge

Come back to nearly crenated pizza.

Post lunch, 1430, a snooze. Wake up, 1600, realize that whilst I was out the time bandits stole more than an hour.

Cup of tea, 1630, plan supper. Now it takes a lifetime to get to 1800 and G&T time.

Drift through the evening to bed time, 1100. Then realize there was an email I should have sent.

Next thing it's 0045 and I'm getting into bed.

Or is it just me?

a day in the life of a government worker?

Top Bottom