New to Brompton - saying Hello

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IBarrett

Über Member
Hi, I'm new not only to this forum but to Brompton cycling.
I've yet to get my bum on my Brompton as it needs a few bits which are now on order.
Once I've got the thing rideable I plan to make part of my commute on my Brompton.

I'll check in to keep you updated on Life with a Brompton.

If I'm lucky I'll have enough of the bits by the weekend so I can take a trip into town (Nottingham) to watch some of The Milk Race, and put my Brompton to good use by getting the bus home again - well, there is a big hill on the way back !

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Helllloooo
I'm a recent Brompton convert evangelist and think the thing is the dog's dooh-dahs. I don't commute by bike unfortunately, but by plane where I have a hardcase for it.
Regarding hilly areas, the lower gearing option is very useful and the mod will cost a £20 chainring if you've not gone that route.
I recently did a 60 mile ride with full camping kit and it went a dream. They're fab little bikes.
Welcome to cycle-chat by the way.

Which Brompton have you bought?

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Mine goes on the train mostly but it's fantastic that it'll go on the bus when I need to. I can't imagine how I ever managed without mine.

Oh, and watch out - everyone will want to talk to you about it and watch you fold/unfold it.

OP
OP
IBarrett

IBarrett

Über Member
Thanks for the welcome chaps.

Fab Foodie it's a Red M3L which I bought of the bay of fleas
I thought it was just going to be something I could jump on and play with, but I need new tyres, brake cable, pedals and seat. So not quite excellent condition, ridden for a year then kept in a box eh.
Still, the frame and wheels look ok and it will be smart when it's new bits are fitted.

Sounds like I'd better practice the fold/unfold somewhere quiet so I don't look a pillock in public eh.

OP
OP
IBarrett

IBarrett

Über Member
Well that was quick!

I had a delivery before 9am this morning and now have sitting here in the office :
1 pair of Schwalbe Marathon tyres - courtesy of Wiggle
1 pair of MKS FD-7 pedals and 1 front brake cable - courtesy of Brilliant Bikes.

Just waiting for the new saddle - but the old one will suffice for now so

Considering I only picked up the bike Monday night and ordered the parts yesterday things are moving very quickly indeed and if I get my finger out tonight I could take it for a spin. I haven't even ridden it yet.
Park and ride may have a very different meaning for me this weekend as I head into town.

OP
OP
IBarrett

IBarrett

Über Member
Nice bike Rockymountain.

How have you found the leather Brooks saddle?
I'll have to wait before throwing money at one, but the do look the business.
In the meantime I'll make do with the Madison Flux I've ordered.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome to CycleChat :welcome:

I'm also rather fond of my Brompton, hope you get to enjoy riding and folding/transporting/storing/unfolding yours quite soon :okay:

StuartG

slower but further
I love the Brooks - it's the most comfortable saddle I own
Ditto. But then I was born in the town that makes 'em. I am of the opinion that you don't break in a Brook's saddle - it breaks you. You either have the compatible physiology that can be moulded into shape and you become one, and even a replacement Brook's is almost instantly comfortable - or you are one of the unfortunate and you will never become one. How long it takes to decide which you are, what pain you suffer to find out - is the question.

But if you are one of Smethwick's chosen - its heaven (the saddle - certainly not Smethwick)

OP
OP
IBarrett

IBarrett

Über Member
Todays update:
The tyres were complete b@stards to fit (jefmcg I think they are just Marathon so god knows how bad the Plus must be)
I nicked the inner tube on the rear tyre so that now needs replacing OR can anyone recommend a quality puncture repair kit which will cope with the pressures in these tyres, because the one I fitted just blew apart - which is why I think I should just replace the tube now.

I've bought the wrong brake cable. Pratt. So I now know I have 10degree levers. I'll replace these in the future but I'm chucking money at this like its going out of fashion so they will have to wait.

The gear chain is knackered. Its twisted. How the hell does that happen?

The rear spindle is quite loose. I had a watch of a youtube vid last night and it doesn't seem complicated to open and possibly tighten but I won't be doing that any time soon as I'm off to Le Mans 24hrs in less than 3 weeks and still have a car on axle stands with no drive shafts / rear wishbones / suspension so I'd better not get too distracted with my new toy.

Still a bit miffed I haven't been able to get my bum on this yet though.

fimm

Veteran
Hello and :welcome: to CycleChat from another Brompton owner!
(I just use ordinary puncture repair kits - I think I got my last one from Aldi...)

Top Bottom