New to cleats - help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martinsnos

Hi,
I’m 52, never used cycle shoes with cleats and I am nervous about it. Not falling off but:
1. Concerned I won’t like the fixed foot position
2. What if I get a mechanical I can’t fix? At least with trainers I can walk the bike miles if needed?

1 - I suspect is an irrational fear?
2 - Is it worth opting for a ‘mountain bike type’ shoe so I can at least walk if I need to?

I’m a size 10 normally, wide feet - should I go for a size 10 cycle shoe? Any recommendation near the bottom to medium end of the price range?

Many thanks as I’m about to buy a new bike and I’d normally just use a cage and trainers. I’m 52, should I just stick with what I know or will I love ‘proper’ cycle shoes?!

Give them a go! Obligatory for a road bike imo. Size wise, you need to try first... 47 Sidi fits me like a glove, but I am10.5 shoe size, never used any other shoes so not sure what to recommend or how their sizing works, some are quite narrow i understand.

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi,
I’m 52, never used cycle shoes with cleats and I am nervous about it. Not falling off but:
2. What if I get a mechanical I can’t fix? At least with trainers I can walk the bike miles if needed?

2 - Is it worth opting for a ‘mountain bike type’ shoe so I can at least walk if I need to?

I’m a size 10 normally, wide feet - should I go for a size 10 cycle shoe? Any recommendation near the bottom to medium end of the price range?

Many thanks as I’m about to buy a new bike and I’d normally just use a cage and trainers. I’m 52, should I just stick with what I know or will I love ‘proper’ cycle shoes?!
Get SPD shoes (MTB/touring style) and pedals and then you can walk :okay:
They also have float so your foot isn’t fixed rigidly
If your feet are wide you may need to size up. Try and buy in a shop or buy two sizes from a shop with free delivery and returns.
What’s your max budget for shoes?
There’s a clipless faq sticky in this forum.
Oh and you don’t need clipless on a roadbike

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

Hi,

That is reassuring, many thanks for putting the effort into your reply.

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

Give them a go! Obligatory for a road bike imo. Size wise, you need to try first... 47 Sidi fits me like a glove, but I am10.5 shoe size, never used any other shoes so not sure what to recommend or how their sizing works, some are quite narrow i understand.
Many thanks for encouragement

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Obligatory for a road bike imo.

Not obligatory or even necessary. Just a fashion promoted by the cycling industry to persuade people they need to copy professional racers. I ride all sorts of different types of bikes and have done since I was a small boy. I've never used either clipless pedals or toestraps. Completely uneccessary, and make no difference to ordinary everyday cycling. Flat pedals and normal footwear you can walk in do the job just as well and don't entail all this ritualistic nonsense that some people seem to think is required to go cycling.

Jaykun85

can always use the MTB cleats, plus they are double sided so I find it easier to hook in .. these are recessed so you can walk on them and not damage the actual cleat thingy .. sure some people are like you shouldn't be using them on a road bike .. but im a rebel and use both styles depending on my mood and if I know im going to be walking :smile:

Top Bottom