New to cycling!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Isabella

Regular
Hello, I am new to cycling. Given up horse for cycle. I am 60 yrs old and female. I am not comfortable on roads and prefer off road tracks. I bought a second hand bike but it is so uncomfortable off track! I like the bikes with the basket on the front but are they for off track? I am also petite! Inside leg 27 inch. Also the saddle on my present bike is so narrow and so uncomfortable!

Hello! You'll get used to the saddle and become more confident to get out on the roads. Just take it a ride at a time and have fun!!!

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
Hello Isabella, welcome to the show:hello: As to the bike, much depends on the nature of the track. A hybrid or town bike will be plenty robust enough for a canal towpath or something like the Camel trail (Padstow to Bodmin), and these are easy to fit baskets to the handlebars. If you're going to go so far off road you need a compass to find your way home, then a more dedicated multi terrain bicycle might be wiser. in such circumstances and on such a machine, the basket may be an impediment.

If you have a handlebar basket, it's compulsory to install a Yorkshire Terrier, complete with polka dot 'kerchief.;)

Twinks

Über Member
Hi Isabella, welcome, I am 59 and new this year to cycling too and loving it though not ready to give up my horses yet. (Think that's what hubby was hoping for). I started with a Carrera hybrid bike which is very comfortable and confidence giving. It's great off road but also did fifty odd miles on the Manchester to Blackpool night ride, all roads, equally comfortably. I think confidence on the roads comes in time, getting comfortable on the bike is most important then you will have loads of fun:smile:

Ganymede

Veteran
Hi Isabella, brilliant to hear that you are taking up cycling. I am unashamed that I have a gel cover on my saddle - someone bought it for a present and though I can ride without it I really like it! If you are a serious roadie with a posh carbon bike you'd never contemplate such a thing (I'm told) as over your 100mile average daily ride it would chafe something awful. But if you only do a few miles at a time like me then it just adds to the comfort.

Something like this: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fwe/extra-gel-saddle-cover-ec039769

I use it on my hybrid runaround (the most I've ever done on it in one day is 15 miles in 3 to 5-mile sections).

Welcome to the website!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hi. Welcome to the forum. Another 50 something here. Take your time. Go slowly. Dont try to do to much to quickly. Go at your own pace. If you get tired, stop. And there is no shame in walking if you have to.

some people think they cant get on a bike and go for miles...they can't. They end up with sore bums, arms necks and anything else In between. You can start by just going up and down the road where you live. Once you are comfortable try going a bit further.

AS for a bike, id advise you to go to a bike shop, get a proper fitting, and take theyre advise. As for a saddle, ask them if they will exchange it if it does not suit you. Everyone is different and what suits one wont suit another. Good luck.

Ganymede

Veteran
Hi. Welcome to the forum. Another 50 something here. Take your time. Go slowly. Dont try to do to much to quickly. Go at your own pace. If you get tired, stop. And there is no shame in walking if you have to.

some people think they cant get on a bike and go for miles...they can't. They end up with sore bums, arms necks and anything else In between. You can start by just going up and down the road where you live. Once you are comfortable try going a bit further.

AS for a bike, id advise you to go to a bike shop, get a proper fitting, and take theyre advise. As for a saddle, ask them if they will exchange it if it does not suit you. Everyone is different and what suits one wont suit another. Good luck.
Good advice. Didn't @ScotiaLass start by just going up and down her road?!

ScotiaLass

Guru
Good advice. Didn't @ScotiaLass start by just going up and down her road?!
Yes. All I could manage was to the bottom of my road, around a car park, and back. I did that a few times.
My weight and medical issues wouldn't let me do much else!

A year later, almost 4 stone lighter, and the average ride now being 15-20 miles (longest 30), I think I've got the hang of it!
The medical issues haven't gone away but they are more manageable since starting cycling :smile:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Hi Isabella,

Welcome to cycling.

I see that you have already bought a second hand bike. What bike is it? Could you post a photo of it?

We do a lot of riding on country and forest tracks on our bikes and it is no problem. I am guessing you have not bought anything like a racing bike and your bike has not got very thin tyres. If your tyres are about 2 fingers wide or more, it will be fine.

There is no problem having a basket on the front but they tend to rattle a bit so you need to pack it tight and it is good to have a waterproof cover on top. The alternative is to have a handlebar bag which clips on and off. There are plenty on e bay and in cycle shops to choose from. They tend not to rattle and get on your nerves.

Saddles are a law unto themselves and are a purely personal choice. We could write books on this subject. But the best people to advise you on here are the women.

You may find it hard to begin with but it does get easier and it gets much easier when the warmer weather comes. So don't give up.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome: Maz my OH got a Dawes Geneva step-thru Hybrid with a 7 speed Shimano hub gear system a few years back and loves it. It was only due to her arthritic knees that I ended up fitting an electric front wheel kit to it but then she is a few years older than you are and we live on the top of a ridge so its always a climb to get home.

OP
OP
I

Isabella

Regular
Hello Isabella, welcome to the show:hello: As to the bike, much depends on the nature of the track. A hybrid or town bike will be plenty robust enough for a canal towpath or something like the Camel trail (Padstow to Bodmin), and these are easy to fit baskets to the handlebars. If you're going to go so far off road you need a compass to find your way home, then a more dedicated multi terrain bicycle might be wiser. in such circumstances and on such a machine, the basket may be an impediment.

If you have a handlebar basket, it's compulsory to install a Yorkshire Terrier, complete with polka dot 'kerchief.;)
Thank you! Will a jack russell do?

OP
OP
I

Isabella

Regular
Hi Isabella, welcome, I am 59 and new this year to cycling too and loving it though not ready to give up my horses yet. (Think that's what hubby was hoping for). I started with a Carrera hybrid bike which is very comfortable and confidence giving. It's great off road but also did fifty odd miles on the Manchester to Blackpool night ride, all roads, equally comfortably. I think confidence on the roads comes in time, getting comfortable on the bike is most important then you will have loads of fun:smile:
Felt safer riding on the road with my horse! Thank you for your reply and I will do some research regarding the Carrera. Still have the horse but he has been retired! Stay safe!

Backonmybike

I am 50+ and took up cycling again a few months ago. Your confidence on the bike and roads will grow with practice, if you are not comfortable on roads now give it a few months off road and try again, you will be surprised how much your confidence has grown.
A narrow saddle sounds like a "racer", as we used to call them, you need to wear padded shorts with these and even then it took me a few months cycling to toughen up enough to be comfortable cycling for more than an hour. My wife uses a female saddle on her hybrid it is wider in front and has a cut out section towards the middle of the front.
As for what bike is suitable it is impossable to say without knowing your tracks, but my wifes hybrid is not comfortable on bumpy tracks.

Top Bottom