New to Fixies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JNMann

Hi everyone, I've been cycling all of my life but just getting back into again for health reasons now I've hit the big 50 ;-) Used to race when I was younger and never lost the passion, just the fitness!

I've just bought a lovely XSmall Genesis Flyer frame to build my own fixie. At 5' 3" it was hard finding something suitable but I'm amazed how light this frame is.

My intention was to build it up with cheap parts from somewhere like Decathlon, see how I get on and then upgrade as necessary. Now I've received the frame it seems a shame to put cheaper parts on it but I don't want to go crazy.

I'd just like some advice on what type of parts to go for, crankset, wheels etc. and do I fit a standard brake to the front or is it worth adding a disc? I'll have a flip flop on the back wheel but intend to ride as fixed.

Appreciate any advice, pointers, supplier contacts and so on. keen to get this built and on the road now!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and :welcome: to the forum.

Never built a fixed but thought about doing so many times so may get around to it eventually.
The main thing to get right is the chain line so you’ll likely need to fiddle with the axle and dishing. RJ has a good video or two going through the process which should help you out. Not too sure Decathlon will have many of the appropriate parts but I’ll leave it to other batter informed members to comment.

View: https://youtu.be/nkNCXx10NqY

This might also help you:

View: https://youtu.be/BkznwpNNCVI

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
To make things easier with the rear wheel you could maybe buy the one for the Flyer from Genesis? You may still have to ‘fine tune’ it though.

Venod

Eh up
I have had a Genesis Flyer, I liked the frame it rode very well on fixed, a rim brake is what's needed, to fit a disc brake will require different forks, I always run a front and back brake even when using fixed wheel.
I built some wheels with Novatec hubs the rear was a flipflop

OP
OP
J

JNMann

Fantastic video, thanks very much for sharing that. Certainly needs a bit of thought when aligning but this should help a great deal :-)

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
We've got a few (Langdale and Holdsworth roi de velo track bikes, a Carlton Corsa fixie conversion plus Fuji Track and Kona Paddy Wagon fixies used for grasstrack).

If it's the frame then it'll depend what you're planning to use it for. The Carlton's been done with fixed/freewheel and front brake, whereas the rest don't have brakes except for the fixed element.

On the Carlton there's a budget set of wheels, as it was built for fun. However, the Langdale uses Mavic's Ellipse and a PlanetX carbon wheelsets which are much better.

D

Deleted member 1258

Hello and :welcome:.

I've got a Flyer, Lovely bikes, I've had mine about 6 years now.

These are worth looking at for fixed bits and pieces.

https://www.velosolo.co.uk/shop.html

Venod

Eh up

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Another Velosolo customer here, I also use Hubjub . Spa cycles has some fixed bits as well .
DC no one needs more than one fixed wheel bike do they . Surly Steamroller( bought frame and built up) , On-one Pompino ( eBay) and a Boardman SC comp ( 2010 cycle to work ).

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
DC no one needs more than one fixed wheel bike do they . Surly Steamroller( bought frame and built up) , On-one Pompino ( eBay) and a Boardman SC comp ( 2010 cycle to work ).

It depends what you use them for. And there's two of us.

We race track and when we looked at grasstrack there was no way we were using our 'nice' carbon track bikes. Hence the cheap Fuji, which I bought last year because I was bored for something to use on rollers, and the Kona.

The Carlton was my son's project a couple of years ago for him to learn how to do a fixie conversion and for holiday use.

OP
OP
J

JNMann

Quick question. Whilst I'm looking for parts, or rather donor bikes! I came across a couple.of pre built options. First is a Genesis Flyer funnily enough. Seller is saying its a Small and it fits them well at 5' 1" so me at 2 inch taller would be perfect. Bit surprised as the xsmall frame I have is supposed to be a closer fit? Anyway this has been built to a decent spec so if size works could be a good buy.

Secondly, I've toyed with buying a smaller youths/ladies size bike before. The Fuji Track SE . On paper the small 43cm frame and 650c wheels would be a perfect fit for me but at 100kg I'm worried the bike would be overloaded? Is this a crazy idea? It's just for commuting on roads, not thing too strenuous.

Top Bottom