What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Was the bike in it at the time :-)

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Been a busy few days finishing things off. Firstly, having stuck new tubs onto my son's race and spare race wheels, the valve extender on the rear sheared off. I needed to un-tape, removed threaded plastic, and re-tape the rear tub. All done, even if he DNF'd last night due to feeling ill.

The Kona Paddy Wagon fixie, which we'll use for grasstrack racing, has been finished. New Schwalbe CX Comp 30mm tyres with latex tubes, replacement stem, handlebars, bar tape, seatpost and saddle from the parts store were used together with a pair of new 'Ultegra' pedals that came via eBay. Only they were fakes and the seller told me to keep them! (Reported to eBay anyway)

Some paint's been added as the bike wasn't packed well, plus the LBS removed the freewheel we won't need. From this on Friday lunch-time:
1.jpg

To this yesterday:
DSC00167.JPG

The irony of my half-Irish son competing on a Paddy Wagon isn't lost on me :whistle:

The Dawes Kingpin has also had work, with the aim of being finished for Saturday's small wheeler Norman Charters Memorial Ride out of Thorne.

Having arrived in LOTS of pieces - think everything dismantled bar the bottom bracket because it was stuck - it's been re-sprayed silver (badly :whistle: ) and re-built. Originally it looked like this, but it all arrived in the saddle bag plus frame, forks, wheels, bars, seatpost all in a box:

Kingpin2-1.jpg

It's been a clean-up on a budget rather than an expensive re-build. That's being saved for the separate Kingpin TT project we've got very slowly on-going.

So ... everything's been cleaned thoroughly, new bearings in everything that had bearings originally or seemed to - mainly because they either weren't there or were out anyway - new rear tyre, new gear cable outer/inner, new inner brake cables, new brake pads, new chain, all the metal-work cleaned and polished plus a NOS chainguard. I accidentally ordered cotter pins from the wrong seller so ended up with one rather than a pair, so a second new one's still to arrive. The LH brake lever needed new bits and some fettling to work properly. A challenge was that many of the parts on this 1973 Kingpin didn't match the 1975 Kingpin project we're working on, so it was a bit of trial and error.

Currently a non-dynamo front wheel's on for the moment which is off my other Kingpin as I don't need the dynamo lights yet.

I couldn't match the green so went with a set of silver spray cans and new decals. The seatpost clamp was too-far gone to polish so that's now in green enamel and I simply did the head-tube chrome parts in silver. More laquer needed but overall it's OK. The gears aren't set up yet, hence the long gear cable. Oh, and a prize for the CC'er who spots the bodge :okay:

DSC00171.JPG

If I can get it all working properly I'll make Saturday's ride.

Last edited:

DCLane

appears to be parts of 2 chains on there.... and you've changed the rear brake cable routing:okay:

The rear brake wouldn't route properly as it's a replacement newer caliper rather than the Dawes original, so routing from the top worked better. Or rather it actually worked.

Well spotted with the chain; I'd only got most of one new chain that came in a box of random bike bits I bought, a new section off another from the Raleigh Superbe build or a CeramicSpeed one. Connecting the two up seems OK - once a few miles are done it won't be that obvious anyway :whistle:

Last edited:
Some more in-ride fettling of Max the MTB... :blush: This time, needed to sort out some rotating bars.

Have discovered that there's a big difference between "road tight" and "off road tight" :blush:

Saddle did stay put this time. :angel:

I Gave the Tricross a quick clean after the weekend riding in the beautiful Yorkshire Dales.
I was experiencing some ‘lag’ when dropping down into higher gears, I’d changed the gear cable not that long ago so just renewed the outer housing near the rear mech, after today’s ride the shifting is now perfect.

View attachment 591853

Trying to remember when my chain was that clean...

DCLane

Minor fettling on the Kingpin I completed earlier this week; all the gears now work. Or at least they're all there: what gear you actually get is a different matter. Everything adjusted to start, stop, clunk, etc. as expected.

It's ready for the Norman Charters Memorial Ride in Thornes on Saturday, meaning SWMBO's taking son no. 2 to his 3/4 race in Middlesbrough instead.

Or at least it'll start the ride. Given I've gone up/down the street on this bike and it's the furthest it's been for a long time whether it'll get round the 20+ miles and back is a different matter :whistle:

This is actually a Raleigh Twenty group ride, and having had two Twenty's that I didn't like (OK, a Twenty and a Stowaway) turning up on a Kingpin could be interesting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom