What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

battered

Guru
Swapped the utterly worn out jockey wheels on my town bike for some from the bits box. Little used, from an xtr rear mech that was being used, believe it or not, as a chain tensioner on a single speed that I bought for loose change. The wheels have so little wear that I doubt the rest of the mech is worn.

I fancy getting some pretty jockey wheels for the MTB, the originals are well worn and the boring grey plastic Shimano ones are dull, dull, dull.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Fixed my front mud flap which split. Took it off, cleaned it, then applied rip stop cello tape (type you see on boxes) either side of split. Reattached. Also adjusted front wheel hub as felt a bit too tight after an earlier adjustment

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Rear deraileur cable snapped at the shifter on the Spa Elan so I had the fun of working out what bits to remove to dig out what was left, realise i didn't have a spare in the shed, go out and buy a new one, then work out how to fit it and re-fit the removed bits. Still can't get a clean up or down change in the lowest two gears on the new Michie cassette fitted ealier in the year no matter how I set things up - it's almost as if there's a spacing issue even though the cassette is corrctly fitted & tight on the hub (no problem with the previous Shimano & SRAM ones)

Also took the opportunity to check the hangar alignment (slight tweek needed) and check the brake pads (almost down to the metal so new ones ordered.)

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Yesterday’s fettling included:
My Carrera Vengeance - rear brake pads (one of the resin pads sheared off the metal bracket during some MTBing yesterday morning), check and adjust front brakes for better performance.

My daughter’s new-to-her Dawes Bullet LT - swap tyres from hybrid to knobbly (Schwalbe Black Jack), free the rear brake cable, index gears (main issue was with limiter screws pushing jockey wheel cage into spokes).

Went out this morning to prep bike for a ride, rear flat. Bum. So decided to do what was intended a while back, swap the wheelsets between the two bikes. This entailed a full tyre and cassette swap also, as the 28s on the mixte are too big for the Scott. My thumbs hurt.
So the Scott is now back to how it was when I got it, barring number of gears and bars.
The Revell mixte is now all silver, and probably has fewer spokes than any other such bike!^_^

Now, can I get out for some miles, please?

Last edited:
Re-seated the RH Ergon grip on the MTB after it came loose during my ride. Roadside repair was only partially effective, so did it properly when I came home.

Also had to sort out the saddle clamp after that developed a mind of its own during a particularly bumpy section of my ride. A pair of 13mm spanners is devilishly hard to find in the middle of nowhere, so had to manage the last four miles with a hand on the nose of the saddle to keep it level. :blush:

I decided to jinx the weather by taking the mudguards off the road bike.

I did that weeks ago with the mixte. Why do you think it has rained so much?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'm torn between calling my rebuilt 531 ST Cafe Racer [in a olde-worlde cursive font] or Pub Runner [in a sci-fi BladeRunner style font].
It's gonna be a month before I get it back from the powdercoaters, so I have time to decide. I'm currently gathering together the bits to rebuild it [we have the technology] and wondering if I ought to get some taps to clean the threads out.

Last edited:
Took the Regina freewheel off my X4 (seriously, those 2-prong locknuts are made of cheese) and replaced it with a NOS Maillard with a luxurious 28T largest sprocket, put a blingy gold chain on the Argentin and then the Amazon guy arrived with 3 Ikea Dimpa bags which are the perfect size for a folded Brompton and, at about £3 each are 1/10 the price of a Brompton bag. All that, then didn't have time to go for a ride!

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Big ride planned tomorrow ^_^ so checkup on road bike.

Minor chain rub on front derailleur, (11 speed, R8000) so spent about 6 hours faffing to no avail before reading the manual and following the instructions. :ohmy::ohmy:

Now seems perfectly set up but I'm buggered if I really understand what the screws do; the high and low screws aren't backstops like a normal derailleur but seem to adjust the leverage in some complicated shimano-ey way.

Then the rear brakes which insist on rubbing when out of the saddle. Much faffing again, eventually OK, but would like them closer to the rim and don't really understand why they started rubbing. Somehow appears the wheel has more flex than it used to. There's no wiggle at the bearings.

So, all set for Dales epic on the morrow.

Top Bottom