What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Replaced the RH shifter on the best bike, so good excuse to fit some snazzy bar tape.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Fitted a new 34T chainring to the Ribble, after the old one somehow exploded three of the bolts and then bent itself waaaaay out of shape.
Got a disappointingly expensive quote for powdercoating my old Paul Donahue 531ST frame, so a trip to Maldon to get it powdercoated there will be coming up soon. I've had that frame since 1992 so the paint is looking a bit sad. I'm thinking RAL6027 for the Bianchi Celeste lookalike-ness :wub:
Steel frame to powdercoat in RAL6027.jpg

carpenter

Über Member
I was hoping someone would say that! I thought I'd get it done locally, but CTC at Malden are not too far away, a useful amount cheaper and are well used to doing bikes, so it's a no-brainer.

I have used them on a couple of frames:
"illusion cherry" - I liked the finish on my Dancelli so much that I also had a Mercian done (pictures below show Mercian before and after).
Very helpful (Italian, I think) chap was very understanding and helpful about masking the Dancelli.

Attachments

• IMG_0148.jpg
    IMG_0148.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0150.jpg
    IMG_0150.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 14
  • mercian before paint.jpg
    mercian before paint.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0093.jpg
    IMG_0093.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 16

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
A puncture whilst out riding

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Son's racing on Sunday in the Yorkshire 'test' road race Cat 2/3/4, but has decided to use his BeOne training bike rather than his Cervelo race bike due to some technical reason I don't understand.

We were going to fit carbon wheels instead of the Superstar Components aluminium ones so I've done that with carbon brake pads.

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Not feeling great today after my 2nd Covid jab yesterday, so no photos. The second Dawes Kingpin I bought in April has been sat in the pile of pieces it arrived in. So ... given the brain and body aren't really working together today I looked at the pile after finishing my teaching. Imagine this, but with most of the bits now inside the pannier bag:

Kingpin2-1.jpg

Having chatted with my son, since it'll be his, we'd decided on some silver paint. The battered and chipped frame and forks received a sand-down with faded/chipped stickers and un-seized bolts removed.

First three coats of silver paint on both frame and forks. I've then cleaned the crankset and ordered some new decals. The chainguard is battered so I'd already got a NOS replacement green one before realising the frame paint was too far gone and I couldn't find a match. More paint tomorrow, then I'll let it cure whilst the decals are en route, then laquer and a re-build.

The aim is to make the Dawes Kingpin FB Group ride that's being held in Thorne on 5th June. Not sure I'll make it though as I've a lot of work on at work, my son's got racing as have I, and there's then this.

Looking at the pile of parts it came in there are cables, but I'd prefer to fit new gear/brake cables so they've been ordered. However, the original cable outers are in dark green which given it's now silver I'm not too bothered about matching. The front wheel received new bearings a couple of weeks ago but new tyres would be good. I do have a spare pair of wheels/tyres from my stalled Kingpin build that we won't need which may be used instead.

Saddle and bar grips cleaned, seatpost, stem, bars and kick-stand metal, pannier bag (now empty) cleaned and polished. That'll do for today.

Photos when we're closer to being done and I'm feeling better. The pannier rack will need cleaning & polishing, as will the mudguards which will also need some fettling to remove dents and creases.

Last edited:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
A non-bike related fettle here...
While cooking dinner t'other day, the oven element started making all kinds of interesting BZZZEEEEERT-y noises, combined with flashing lights and cessation of heat output.
I had to finish the roasties off in a frying pan...
Anyhoo, got the offending element out.
oven element.jpg

Here's a close-up of the busted bit.
Oven element burnt out.jpg

The resistance wire inside failed and then arced for a bit. That's what blew the hole in the side, letting the smoke out. Electronics and electrics all work on smoke, and when there's a hole, the magic smoke escapes and they stop working (may not actually be true).
Just need to wait for a replacement element now...

Top Bottom