What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
A non-bike related fettle here...
While cooking dinner t'other day, the oven element started making all kinds of interesting BZZZEEEEERT-y noises, combined with flashing lights and cessation of heat output.
I had to finish the roasties off in a frying pan...
Anyhoo, got the offending element out.
View attachment 589713
Here's a close-up of the busted bit.
View attachment 589715

The resistance wire inside failed and then arced for a bit. That's what blew the hole in the side, letting the smoke out. Electronics and electrics all work on smoke, and when there's a hole, the magic smoke escapes and they stop working (may not actually be true).
Just need to wait for a replacement element now...
That sounds like it was rather exciting, ours just refused to heat up

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
It was quite fun in a WTF-was-that-oooh-sparks! sense, but less so from a where's-my-dinner point of view. I'm just glad the chicken was cooked.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I cut off and filed flush some redundant brackets on my singly. I'm going to get it blasted and powder coated soon, but I need to remove the surplus junk first. I've sorted the brand, it's going to be a Speed Lobster (TM). Because I can.
I was considering doing that with the cantilever brake studs on my 531ST, but I chickened out and ordered some mini-V brakes instead. Not quite as retro as the downtube shifters will be...
And it's going to be a 589779 .
Because I can :biggrin:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
More work on the Kingpin parts as I'm not well today; all of the metal bits were polished and the dents knocked out of the mudguards as best as possible. Dynamo lights cleaned.

The seat clamp's in a bad state so I'll attempt to re-chrome it. If that doesn't work it'll have to be painted chrome or metallic green to match the chainguard.

Last edited:

DCLane

Bits and pieces; a new tub onto my son's spare race wheel after the old one went pop last week. It's a Maxxis Campione TT which hopefully will be OK as a spare. The old one was used once I think from memory in 2 years.

Also, we swapped the Rotor 52T standard chainring for a Rotor 52T aero one on his Cervelo S3 race bike ready for a cat 2/3/4 race tomorrow in Middlesbrough.

A bit more painting for the Kingpin and I'm trying to work out whether I want the seat-clamp silver, green or metallic green given the chrome's too bad to use. New decals have arrived as well.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
today
pulled and greased BB on ribble build as it was creaking , installed new mudgaurds then greased rear wheel hub on the yellow boardman.
yesterday
Fellow club rider was having issues with gears and needed the bike for a sportive so i said if he hadnt got it sorted i would pop around, when i got there i could hear it wasnt right straight away so after a quick look ....
Chain to short
FD high stop wrong
RD at max adjustment before i even touched it .

So luckily he had a chain so he put that on and after a bit of twiddling he said it was the best it has ever sounded , so impressed he gave me his old turbo trainer an elite novo smart as he had a wheel off smart trainer

DCLane

Son's old tub tyres off his race wheels after one delaminated during his race yesterday :eek: causing a DNF. New ones en route.

New rear gear cable on his BeOne Raw

Finished the paint on the Dawes Kingpin I've been spraying, with new decals added. Laquer as soon as it's drier and warmer.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
The pads on my rear caliper have been a little in the low side for a few weeks now, but Sunday's wet ride finished them off. So stuck some new ones in, also gave the pistons a good clean whilst I was there.

Little concerned about my cranks as well, seems to be some play in the bottom bracket/cranks. The BB cups are only a few months old as well, so shouldn't be knackered already, I need to investigate further.

IMG_20210526_172408056.jpg

Top Bottom