What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Wow, it seemed to be easy to set the Scott front mech today. Suspicious...
Never got to try it properly due to a puncture, and a frayed tyre, so bailed out.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Out on a ride on the MTB earlier, and that 'cheep cheep' dry chain/jockey birdy was following me round. Jockeys are new and the chain oiled. Hmm must be the birds :whistle:

Gave the bike a once over, and noticed it was coming from the non-drive side of the wheel. Wheel out, cassete off, axel out and tapped the non-drive side bearing out. Rather stiff. Limited 'cleaning materials' at the caravan, although most of my tool kit. Bearing cover off, and dripped oil into the bearings and left to soak. Whilst at it, cleaned up the freehub and re-lubed one of the outer bearings. Got non-drive side bearing and wiped it out, and regreased. Now, pressing back into the hub was tricky as I had no socket, and the bearing press won't fit over the axel. Tapped in with a freehub remover, then the final bit, carefully with a screwdriver on the outer edges.

Then checked rear pads - well worn. Front pads on way out so replaced the lot.

Good job I checked as I plan Llandegla this week. :ohmy:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I decided that I preferred my riding position on my singlespeed bike to my position on my best bike. I checked and found that the drop from saddle nose to top of bars was slightly more on the best bike (13.5 cm (5.5") vs 12.5 cm (5") on the singlespeed) so I moved a 1 cm spacer from above the stem to below it. That subtle change enabled me to reduce the tilt on my saddle by one 'notch' on the clamp. I like a small downward saddle tilt to avoid genital numbing but it was too much before, causing me to tend to slide forwards.

I've only done a short test ride but I think this will be much more comfortable.

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
I bought my 12 year old son this Venge Vias (49cm frame) secondhand, but with the seat post retracted as far as possible into the seat tube, the saddle was still too high. I removed the seat post and Di2 battery from within, cut off 70mm and re-fitted the battery and refitted the seatpost/saddle. He’s already tested it and it’s now perfect. I also, prudently, ordered a replacement full length seat post to accommodate future growth.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I bought my 12 year old son this Venge Vias (49cm frame) secondhand, but with the seat post retracted as far as possible into the seat tube, the saddle was still too high. I removed the seat post and Di2 battery from within, cut off 70mm and re-fitted the battery and refitted the seatpost/saddle. He’s already tested it and it’s now perfect. I also, prudently, ordered a replacement full length seat post to accommodate future growth. View attachment 587408
Wow - when I was 12, I rode a heavy steel-framed 5-speed Raleigh... :laugh:

(... which some thieving bastard stole from the school bike shed a year later!!! :cursing:)

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A productive morning;

The Pug 525 I'd organised and put together for someone's been in my storage for a while as they were away. They're back so I gave it a once-over, mended some parts, replaced a few others and it's all now working. They'll be told that since they didn't look after it I won't be fixing it again :cursing: .

The Fuji Track has got a set of cross tyres onto some spare wheels ready for grasstrack on Monday evening at Leeds. My son and myself will be sharing it. The original wheel's been re-purposed and the front track wheel I'd sourced was being a pain, so I've stuck a new Raleigh Pioneer wheel on that was lying about which matches the frame nicely. Grasstrack use was one of the original ideas so we'll give it a go.

Fuji_Track.JPG

His Columbus X-Wing commuter cross bike's had a new rear gear cable and check-over. It's an old carbon/aluminium frame mix loosely held together with horse poo since all it's done for the past 4 years is go 13 miles to/from school on greenways. We put a pair of carbon EC-90 handlebars on last year as a test and they've worked well. Running a 10 speed mix of Ultegra (front mech), 105 (rear mech / cassette), Tiagra (shifters) and Sora (crankset) has been fine.

Columbus X-Wing.JPG

And finally his Langdale track bike's getting some red/white paint touch-ups ready for the 2021 season. It's got a bit battered from track use and transport over the past year so tidying's needed before outdoor racing starts in a couple of weeks. We adjusted the gearing as well as he's gone up an age category, with a test at Scunthorpe yesterday evening.

Last edited:

12boy

Guru
What tires would the Fuji take that are suitable for grass? The biggest I could fix were 28mm.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
What tires would the Fuji take that are suitable for grass? The biggest I could fix were 28mm.

We're running Continental CX Comp 30mm which is probably the limit. The next step is some 32 and 35mm (if they fit) which we'll take if the 30mm are too slippy - the centre tread is flatter than most, which will either be our successful decision or our un-doing :laugh:

Last edited:
Top Bottom