What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Punkawallah

Über Member
@Spiderweb solid 8/10 there, just let down by the black stem and black bars.
You're forgetting the 'biggie-smalls', aligned valves and protruding stem :-)

philtalksbx

Über Member
A bit thwarted on a cassette swap. The new 7-speed is slack on the hub whilst the old one is a good fit with no float. I’m used to using spacers, but didn’t expect to need one this time. I think 1mm should do it, back to find one on the web.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Fitted my new vintage style bell to my recumbent. Gives a nice pleasing ring.

C R

Guru
You never eliminate the noise, just swap it for a quieter one :-)
It definitely seems to be the case. The headset creak was easy to diagnose and fix, the seat post creak took a while to diagnose, first thinking pedals and then bottom bracket. This one is definitely the wheel, either spoke crossings or spoke niples.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My Raleigh SP Race road bike's been creaking from the bottom bracket area. So I had a go at removing the bottom bracket after a ride today.

Out came the non-drive side and I didn't think "why's it not look like a Shimano one?" The drive side undid but wouldn't come out easily - turns out what's in there is a SP Cycle threaded BB30-24mm bottom bracket (AliBaba cheap Chinese-made BB) :eek:

When I bought the frameset it came with a bottom bracket in, plus a Shimano crankset and I'd not thought to check.

Cue "I've only got Shimano bottom brackets" and "oops!" But ... I'd bought a Rotor 4224 BB30 bottom bracket a few years back and it was in the parts store. I had considered sticking it on eBay and was glad I didn't because it went in nicely.

New bottom bracket, also a new chain for good measure as it was at .75 stretch, and hopefully that's the creak cured.

Last edited:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Cleaned my Fuji, adjusted disc brakes for better stopping power (thought it might be important ;) ) cleaned disc rotors, mickled and oiled chain, swapped Wahoo mounts (from one that clamps to handlebar to one that attaches by stem bolts), added handlebar bag and mounted the folding lock holder that I had for Christmas and haven’t had the opportunity to use yet.

All ready for a longer ride tomorrow as part of my preparation for my first calendar audax event in three weeks :hyper: My rides have been much too few and far between, as well as too short, as of late to the point I’m worried I’ll DNF on the day :sad:

Top Bottom