What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Four bikes washed and oiled; front brake on my daughter's MTB adjusted (rubbing); new inner to rear brake, and front brake adjusted on my MTB.

Handlebar diameter measured for flat-bar conversion on a bike for my wife (she doesn't like drop bars). Levers and shifters to source too, plus new cables. I want to re-paint but it may have to wait.

Mandobob

Fitted some GB Sport Mk 3 side pull brakes to my 1957 Roberts Cycle Industries Falcon Club Special. Followed by twin Cyclo Benelux band-on derailleur changers.

Used almost the entirety of my cycling toolbox, my day to day tools box, the man drawer in the kitchen, the plastic storage box of useful leftover bike bits and pieces and considerable patience, trying not to damage the new paint on the frame.

Can see the end of the project in sight now.

Got a slow puncture today - fed up with this - damn thing has sealant in it but the hole is right on the raised bit where there is a seam - just won't seal

So I chucked that one in the bin and installed the spare

Noticed that the derailleur is basically covered in grit/mud/sand and all sorts so set to dismantling it and scrubbing it with degreaser and a toothbrush
reassembled with grease and oil and stuff
only to notice that the rest of the transmission is not too clean either so dismantled the whole thing and scrubbed it all

All clean so went out for a short ride to check it all still works

flat tyre after about 2 miles!!!!!!

RIght - pumped tyre up and went directly to LBS - did not pass GO - did not collect £200 - just got 2 new inner tubes and chucked the current one (and 7 patches on it) in the shed and put a new tube in the tyre

Probably going to run across someone trimming hawthorn hedges in a day or two and get a load of new holes!!!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Well, after my bike rebuild earlier in the week...
Today I replaced the rear mech hanger and rear mech, re-indexed the gears, and [mostly] trued out a massive buckle in the rear wheel. And ignored a spoke with an ominous crumple in it.
I took the new bike on a Wednesday Night Ride to the Pub [WNRttP] and upon leaving the second pub in a state of overwhelming refreshment, my mate fell off his bike, knocking me off mine. And lo! Much damage was done, as we both landed in a big heap, with my bike on the underside.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
The embarrassing thing is - we hadn't even made it as far as the road.
We were in the beer garden.
Oh, and Note to Self. Do not buy cheap rear mechs off Ebay. They're [shockingly poorly made] copies, not genuine kit at all. I've just had to get some from Wiggle.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I've been reassembling the cheap Brompton S6L I bought last week. It was like new under the grime! So far:

Stripped it right down to the bare frame. Yes, rear hinge out too.

Rebuilt both hubs (and that was the last of my special SRAM IGH grease).

Chased and faced BB shell. It was not good. Fitted a Shimano 113mm UN54.

Fitted new rear bushes after adding a grease point to the hinge tube.

Fitted Tange alloy cartridge headset.

Trued both wheels. Front one was yuck, rear not so bad.

Still need to ream and reassemble rear hinge (someone is lending me the tool, which you can't buy any more), refit derailleur mechanism, fit Sugino XD2 RH crank and 52T ring, fit chain and cable it all up. Oh, and the little nylon spring sleeves on the el cheapo rear brake had crumbled so I need to fit a couple of Shimano sleeves. Thankfully the spring is the same diameter.

The bike shows no signs of having done any real mileage in its 16 years: rear sprockets and rims are basically as new. I reckon the rear hinge was over-reamed at the factory, as there was definitely > 2mm play.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
After failing to fit the new rim tape I knew was essential before today's ride, fitted the new tape after the ride instead. Oh, and fixed a picture due to said tape during the ride, of course.

Yesterday, fitted new gear cable and saddle to mum's bike and fettled gears on dad's.

Their gratitude for such an easy task was positively heart warming, my father regarding bicycle maintenance as a particularly mystifying form of necromancy.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Rear hub service on the Galaxy. Needs more tlc than the front, as the faces in the hub are marked and tend to chew the bearings. I persist because it’s a wide flanged hub.

Was intending to swap out the freewheel for a 14 - 32 from Bankrupt bike parts (just to see if the derailleur would cope) but found I did not have the necessary removal tool. Bugger.

Gunk

Guru
Cleaned up and serviced Mrs Gunks bike. It’s been sitting under our open porch for almost a year, the rear canti brake was seized but managed to get it working smoothly. Just need to persuade her to use it a bit more.

I also helped my neighbour change the rear brake pads on his Honda Grom (in fact I did it, whilst he watched) anyway it was my good deed for the day, as he’d tried to do it without removing the rear wheel and made a proper mess of it.

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Yesterday's grasstrack went OK, but the Kona Paddy Wagon was way under-geared, leaving us both spinning in thin air. So ...

Son no. 2's taken the Fuji Track Pro and we've put the better green wheels we've got onto that. They don't match but who cares. He's now running 48x16 = 81"
I've got the Kona Paddy Wagon and the 43T chainring with 16T sprocket (72" :eek: ) is now 43x15 = 77" and has the Fuji's wheels on. The chain's too short for anything else, although I might lengthen it to fit 46x16 = 79" if it's still too spinny.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
last time i rode the bike in question was a club run 2 weeks ago where it pished it down and the wheel bearings sounds a bit crunchy so today i greased the wheel bearing , good job i did as the freehub was sticking so i it was basically a geared fixie !, luckily i had the right size allen key so i pulled the hub and blasted it with gt 85 to loosen it and reassemble the lot which is now running sweet again :smile:

Top Bottom