New tourer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
IMG_3417.JPG
I am partial to green transport :whistle:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Just checked the max weight on the rear carrier .......40kg

I have a £10 rack on another bike which is OK for light duties, a mate of mine has a similar one which broke.

Those racks are rated at 10kg and my mate told me he had no more than that on his.

No good for your lejog, even if you are travelling light you want reliability which the Tubus will give you.

Proper kit, designed for the job.

The rest of the bike is the same, and as others have said, the Spa tourers are very fairly priced at about £1,000.

I tried a drop bar version about a year or so ago.

Nice, compliant ride, although I have limited experience of this type of bike.

I decided not to have one at the time, but if I look into buying a tourer again, Spa will be my first port of call.

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Looks nice but seems to be doing more posing than touring, what touring is it doing apart from going round the block?
Just taken it for a couple of rides since I got it. First ride was a 42 miler to iron out saddle height etc but the master plan is a future LeJog trip when time allows. The rest of its duties will include Audax's and long days out.
Initial thoughts are it is a perfect bike for everything I do either on road or riding trails such as the Trans Pennine

cnb

Veteran
That's a lovely looking bike....What colour green is that just in case i happen to be passing Spa....:whistle:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Its got the Luxos 2 dynamo upgrade with usb port fitted. It also senses you slowing down and has a brake light in the rear lamp ! Its my first dynamo since the 80's so as you can imagine it is a revelation !! Front lamp is bright and has high and low beam.

Excellent lights as you say.

Your rear one is a Busch and Muller Toplight.

Worth knowing that it has two switches on the back, or more accurately, a switch and a button.

The switch is a tiny black slider which turns the light off completely.

I threw mine by accident with my cleaning rag, which led to some head scratching as to why the light wasn't working.

The button - bigger, and orange on mine - is to 'dump' the standlight capacitor - turns the light off immediately, but it will illuminate as soon as you turn the dynamo.

Why do you need all this switching?

Arguably you don't, but the best guess is Busch and Muller fit it so you can turn off the light in circumstances where showing a red light is a no-no, such as on railway station platform.

Last edited:

videoman

Guru
Great looking bike but it hasn't got drop handlebars which I thought was a must in the UK compared to the rest of Europe.

I'm hopefully converting my Dawes Sardar to straight bars for a more leisure!y ride and also an old neck problem.

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Great looking bike but it hasn't got drop handlebars which I thought was a must in the UK compared to the rest of Europe.

I'm hopefully converting my Dawes Sardar to straight bars for a more leisure!y ride and also an old neck problem.
I could have had drops but I do not like them. Luckily Spa spec it to your needs which included the bar ends which I have fitted to my other bikes

Top Bottom