New Trike Day.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Drove down to Falmouth to pick up my new ICE Sprint FS trike today. It was all ready for final tweaks, boom length, chain etc. It is a true thing of beauty. Looks really stunning. It’s got the Shimano Steps electric-assist fitted, which is quite amazing in use. Gave it a trial run before I left ICE, just in case anything needed tweaking, or tightening. A couple of minor adjustments and I was good to go. Chris Parker, the director guy, set it all up for me, and made sure I had some understanding of what was going on. He is a really nice chap, and incredibly knowledgeable. Had an enjoyable time there.

Won’t get a chance to give it a proper christening until tomorrow. I’m meeting up with my sister in Exeter, and we’re going to have a quick blast to the seaside I think. I just might turn the electrics off, and earn that ice cream :okay:

Denis99

Über Member
Any photos ?

Drove down to Falmouth to pick up my new ICE Sprint FS trike today. It was all ready for final tweaks, boom length, chain etc. It is a true thing of beauty. Looks really stunning. It’s got the Shimano Steps electric-assist fitted, which is quite amazing in use. Gave it a trial run before I left ICE, just in case anything needed tweaking, or tightening. A couple of minor adjustments and I was good to go. Chris Parker, the director guy, set it all up for me, and made sure I had some understanding of what was going on. He is a really nice chap, and incredibly knowledgeable. Had an enjoyable time there.

Won’t get a chance to give it a proper christening until tomorrow. I’m meeting up with my sister in Exeter, and we’re going to have a quick blast to the seaside I think. I just might turn the electrics off, and earn that ice cream :okay:
Once on e assist bet you wont turn it off ,also have a sprint x with shimano steps

OP
OP
B

BilboSmeggins

Veteran
Any photos ?

I’ll try and take a couple of pics tomorrow.

Once on e assist bet you wont turn it off ,also have a sprint x with shimano steps

It was a fairly flat ride, so I barely touched the electrics, apart from the odd test. Didn’t think it was fair on my sister, lol. Talking of my sister........ She has been quite intrigued by the notion of me getting a trike. So much so, that she had gone out and bought herself a used Sprint FS off eBay. She kept it a secret until I had set mine up, and when I sat there waiting for her to go get her bike, she suddenly unveiled the trike. What a great surprise. We managed a little 18 kilometre run, and it was the nicest ride I’ve ever had. Never felt so relaxed cycling ^_^ It was quite funny... The place we rode to, somewhere on the River Exe, was a bit of a magnet for regular cyclists. There must have been about thirty bikes parked up, and all of the cyclists had got off to get the feeling back in their tortured bodies, and were finding comfortable places to sit. My sister and I just rode up next to them all, pulled up, applied the parking brake and just laid back. No need to get off and stretch, and seek comfort. We were the comfiest there :smile:

Unfortunately, my sister really struggled with her trike, and didn’t seem to be able to get any momentum going. She’s not great with the concept of gears, so I rode behind her to keep an eye on her gears, to make sure she was roughly where she should be. But she still complained a lot about really having to put loads of effort in. Not sure whether there is some friction going on when the trike is under load. All of the wheels spin freely when held aloft. She got quite disheartened, and was talking about selling it straight on, but I’d rather she bit the bullet and took it to her local bike shop and got them to give it the once-over. She’s quite a bit shorter than me, so I couldn’t really test it for her.

Out for another ride tomorrow. Got a circuit all planned out in my head. Hoping for a dead early start to try and beat the traffic until I build my confidence up. I’m partially deaf due to a cycling accident many years ago, so am quite cautious these days. Very, very happy with the new trike though. I can see me racking up plenty of miles on it.

If the tracking of the front wheels is off (particularly possible on a second hand machine) then it makes for hard work... not something your average bike shop will likely check being used to two wheels and not three! There is a video on the ICE website about how to do it, it’s quite straightforward once you’ve done it once.

Some people have also been known to do whole rides with the parking brake applied...

plantfit

Guru
My first thoughts were parking brake but BilboSmeggins says the wheels turn free when of the ground, good idea to check tracking and tyre pressures though,tell your sister not to give up at the first hurdle,stick at it and start to enjoy

OP
OP
B

BilboSmeggins

Veteran
Thanks both. That’s a good call with the tracking. Something I hadn’t considered. I’ll relay it on to her, see if she can’t YouTube it and have a check herself. I spoke with her earlier and she is confident that her tyres are suitably inflated.

The good news though...... Because she was so disheartened by her trike performance yesterday, she decided to go out on her hybrid bike today. Said she hadn’t realised how uncomfortable it was before. She was totally spoiled by the trike’s comfort. She was only out on the DF for about twenty minutes, and is now chomping at the bit to get back to triking.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
She just needs to persevere. Recumbents put the strain on different muscles to a DF and it takes a while to tune them in. A few weeks of regular use will be all it takes.

OP
OP
B

BilboSmeggins

Veteran
Any photos ?

Managed a few this morning :smile:

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

Just waiting for the panniers now, which are arriving today.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Very nice! How’s the assist going? I’ve got a mate who’s just bought a Giant e+ road bike. He’s had a ‘Badass’ deristriction box fitted which doubles the speed. Not something I’d condone, but it makes me think about just how much fun my Catrike 700 would be if I could hold 30mph on it.......

OP
OP
B

BilboSmeggins

Veteran
Thanks :smile: The assist is doing me proud. Did just over 42 miles on Monday, with 3250' of climbing. Got back with 2 of the 5 battery bars still lit, so I'm well pleased with it at the moment. Doubt my dodgy knees would allow me to have much fun without it. The de-restriction box sounds like a blast. Mind you, I get all of the adrenalin rush I need with this thing bombing down some of the Worcestershire hills :smile:

PS: Love your velo :smile:

Top Bottom