New Tyre Advise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

saul

Hello,

Being a total newbie/noob in regards to tyres. I am looking for a new pair of tyres to replace the original Giant P-R3 ac's. Size of these tyres are 700x25C and I am looking for some that are more puncture resistant.

Only cycle to and from work (10K round trip) on normal UK pot holed, broken roads, so not looking to break the bank on them. Have been reading up and Schwalbe or Continental Gator Skins seem to be the most recommended.

Any suggestions/recommendations would certainly be appreciated.

T.I.A.

Old jon

Guru
I use Durano +, but there are others, as you will find out.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Are you having punctures with them then? If not, save your money. See how you get on with them.
For commuting on the mean streets of SE London I run Durano Plus.

Slick

Guru
I used Durano + when I started commuting, and they do offer good protection until the last puncture I got you could see the flint had hit the protective strip before being squeezed into the tyre just at the side. It was probably then I decided to just use normal tyres and learn to fix a puncture quickly.

wonderloaf

Veteran
I use the Michelin Endurance range.Not had a puncture in the last year and only two in the last three years.
I also swapped to Michelin Endurance as I kept getting punctures with Gatorskins (not the hardshell type) and Grand Prix 4 Seasons. So far after ~500 miles on the Michelin no punctures . Won't be bothering with Conti's anymore!

mangid

Guru
Vittoria Rubino Pro G+ for me. Used Gatorskins for ages, still got punctures, and I never felt secure on them. Then went to Endurance, ride was way better, but did get a few more punctures. Rubino fewer punctures, and even better ride. I let my last rear get in a terrible state, 4.5K out of sight out of mind, and only got a puncture once I had worn all the way thru :-( My own silly schoolboy error.

20180625_064805.jpg

bpsmith

Veteran
Vittoria Corsa’s for me. Love the gumwall look, but the added comfort ffom the sidewalls is the real gain.

Just ordered some Corsa Control’s for the wetter days.

migrantwing

Veteran
I use Durano +, but there are others, as you will find out.

Agreed. I've run Durano S (Slick) and Durano Plus and both have been excellent. Sadly, the S doesn't come in 25mm and I want to move up from 23mm, else I'd never buy another brand/model of tyre.

Top Bottom