New tyre recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
From reading this again it looks like I may have bought two black flint and shard attracting bits of rubber. Bugger. I was looking for more than 1000 miles out of them. By then I might have picked them all up and they've been picked out onto my drive.

Anything will be better than what I've got on now as I've had four p*nct*r*s this week. Fridays was fizzing in the puddles so I heard it before I felt it.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
vittoria rubinos are nearly bombproof for punctures (1 in over a year, got them on both bikes, commute everyday), but they are a bitch to put on new (and newish).

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
longers said:
From reading this again it looks like I may have bought two black flint and shard attracting bits of rubber. Bugger. I was looking for more than 1000 miles out of them.
We've just done sums here, and we reckon we've had 5000 miles per tyre and two pu*ctures each in two years - that's about 15000 miles and 4 punctures between us :eek:

We like Gatorskins here - think the main thing is to keep them pumped up to the recommeded psi.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Heh, that post was brought to you by the Gator Information Board :eek:

Hope you get on with them, Gators' seem to be a love 'em or hate 'em Marmite kind of tyre.

I also realise we're now cursed to have a bumper number of flats after saying how good they are :blush:

Cranky

We like Gatorskins here - think the main thing is to keep them pumped up to the recommeded psi.[/quote]

Never worked for me, unfortunately.

Pete

Armadillos. Mine are 700x23, but I think the 28's are equally resistant. After 3000 miles: front: no p*nctures, rear: three p*nctures. That's a good enough record for my purposes. However, beware in wet weather, their grip is not quite as good as other makes. Also they're a bit heavier.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
yello][quote name= said:
unusually[/i] lucky! Do you actually ride? :eek:

I do! and not only on a turbo either. In the winter probably 80-90 miles/week, and once it gets warmer anywhere from 80-200 miles/week, unless i'm on holiday.

Although i'm pretty lazy when it comes to maintenance, I do tend to keep 'em topped up so they're generally always over 90 psi.

I'm getting nervous now, I must be due for about six in a single ride.

twowheelsgood

Panaracer Paselas. These are amongst the fastest and lightest 28s you can buy but are really puncture proof with the tourguard kevlar layer. Better still they'll run to 105PSI and more. There only weakness is the sidewall which is quite thin (which means they also ride extremely well), but I've not had any issues in several years all-season commuting.

Armadillo's are the ultimate in puncture-proofness but IMHO they are truly terrible ride-quality wise.

Mmm... my faith in Gators has just taken a knock. Had to trash one after the sidewall failed over a 3cm oval. Had gone very 'stretchy'. Tyre only a couple of months old. Not seen this before, so am hoping it was a one-off.

Slip_Stream

Schwalbe Marathon Plus

Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tyres are about as bomb proof as you can get!!!!!!!!;)

I use them for commuting and touring and have never had a puncture with them!!!

Top Bottom