New tyre recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
I'm fed up with the amount of p*nct*r*s I'm getting and would like some 700x28 recommendations for year round do all tyres that are resistant to sharp stuff.

Compared to what I used to read about other peoples rates of occurences I think I'm getting their share.
:blush:

Most mentioned seem to be Gatorskins, Armadillos and Bot Hatdcases.

I have the Gatorskins and no punctures in 3 weeks , hardly conclusive but thats a few hundred miles and I would normally have had one or two.

and they look pretty cool! :blush:

yello

Tyres seem almost to be a personal choice based on experience. Some will swear by gatorskins, some swear at them.

No tyre is puncture proof but I like continentals. I use City contacts on my commuter/hack/all purpose bike, ultra gatorskins on my audax bike and 4 seasons on my racery thingy bike.

Brock

Depends how fast you need to go I reckon. I used conti gatorskins to commute most of last year and was getting at least one puncture every week. I changed to Schwalbe Marathon plus in November and haven't had any punctures at all since then. The downside is that they're a bit slower and less lively than the gatorskins.
Ideally I'd like to find something with better punc*ure resistance than the gatorskins but a faster ride than the Marathon+, but I don't want to go narrower than 700x28. Perhaps the Bontrager hardcase?

dub-no-bass

I've got Bontrager Race Lite hardcases on my hybrid at the moment. Going down from 700X32 to 700X28 turned my 11 mile commute from 1 1hr 10min trip to 50 minutes, so they're definitely nippier. Unfortunately my rims won't take anything smaller, so if I want to go even faster I need either new wheels or a new bike.

Anyway, ~1000 miles later, still no punctures. I like them.

giant man

Gatorskins are great when they are new, but when they start wearing you can get problems IME.

One tyre i will be trying towards the winter time is the Michelin Krylion carbons which by all accounts are good tyres.

derosa

I find Gators useless for commuting as they cut really easy on every shard of glass, but good for winter training rides out of town. Schwalbe Marathon+ are totally bombproof commuting tyres (no punctures in 3 years), but the Bonty Hardcases are pretty good too.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Thanks for the advice. A good price from wiggle and another recommendation from a friend has led me to order Ultra Dura Gatorskin jobbies. Would have liked to try marathon +'s but they wouldn't fit under my mudguards.

water

I am tempted to go with Continental Touring 700X28's when my Armadillos[700X25] die.I had the Continental 700X32 on another bike and they were very durable.At the speed I go at no tyre would be faster [or slower :?: ] than another :?:

Brock

I'm sure I read somewhere that Schwalbe and Continental are now using the same anti puncture system?
Even if they are, it seemed to me that the rubber compound on the contis seemed to absorb tiny flints and glass shards and suck them into the tube if you didn't spend 15 minutes picking them out with something pointy every few days.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I'm using Armadillos (23's I think) on both road bikes, have proven very durable. No p******** since Oct 05, although I think I've also been unusually lucky.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
yello][quote name= said:
unusually[/i] lucky! Do you actually ride? :eek:
Have also been lucky enough to only have had two punc**res since 2005, thats about 9000 miles on Gatorskins :blush: .
The new Ultra Gatorskins seem to be picking up cuts more quickly than the old style, but then I've been riding on lots of flinty, wet lanes.

Cranky

giant man said:
Gatorskins are great when they are new, but when they start wearing you can get problems IME.

Same experience for me - fine for the first 1000 miles, then continual problems. Now trying Conti 4 Seasons - all good so far...

Marathon Pluses on the bash bike have held good for two years despite glass, flint, you name it.

Top Bottom