New Tyre Suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mburton1993

Mburton1993

Über Member

I did check eBay and they do have some 28s, but I'm always a bit apprehensive about buying on eBay, bit of a mixed bag of quality with past purchases.

I'll probably end up getting them from there though, or just different tyres. :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
I did check eBay and they do have some 28s, but I'm always a bit apprehensive about buying on eBay, bit of a mixed bag of quality with past purchases.

I'll probably end up getting them from there though, or just different tyres. :smile:
Vittoria Rubino Pro are good 28s and should be much cheaper. Or get the 4 seasons if feeling flush

JonLoveday

Veteran
Tyre prices seem to have gone through the roof recently. Back in 2013 I paid £14 (admittedly on special offer) for Marathon Greenguards; now most places are charging £32! Another 'benefit' of Brexit? I did manage to find them reduced at Tweeks for £22.40.

vickster

Legendary Member
Tyre prices seem to have gone through the roof recently. Back in 2013 I paid £14 (admittedly on special offer) for Marathon Greenguards; now most places are charging £32! Another 'benefit' of Brexit? I did manage to find them reduced at Tweeks for £22.40.
Spa often have good prices on Schwalbe tyres

you don't think it might have something to do with the virus?
Like churches closed/lots of folk dying?

If folks can I'd hold off buying stuff like this for a while - time for me to work through my garage store of 3/4 worn tyres.
I'm sure it will all work itself out in time.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Yes the 4000s aren't available anymore I would have to go on eBay to buy them, l'm considering them because in my previous post some people reckon they were better than the 5000s.

£34 though, that's good. :smile:

GP4000's were lovely when fitted with latex tubes, my most recent pair of GP4000 tyres decided to self destruct with little threads pulling away from the tyre carcass , probably had another 1500km on the tread. I have a pair of GP5000 25c but my Giant TCR doesn't have enough clearance for it! :wacko:

the_mikey

Legendary Member
you don't think it might have something to do with the virus?
Like churches closed/lots of folk dying?

If folks can I'd hold off buying stuff like this for a while - time for me to work through my garage store of 3/4 worn tyres.
I'm sure it will all work itself out in time.

I've noticed there's not much stock around, from bikes , frames, drive train components to inner tubes, everything seems scarce or only available in sizes that I just don't want, or incomplete collections of components when it comes to more complicated assemblies, like hydraulic disc brake components.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Marathon Greenguard are significantly lighter than M+, and I have never paid more than £20 a tyre for them, as I always buy them when available on special offer, not when I actually need tyres.
I baulk at the idea of a single bicycle tyre costing £50, considering all but one of my bikes was less than that much!
Now why does that not surprise me that most of your bikes were less than £50 :laugh:. However I’m with you on the £50 a tyre !! Tubular I get but not clinchers ! . I personally set a limit of about £30 but that’s for tubeless.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
GP4000's were lovely when fitted with latex tubes, my most recent pair of GP4000 tyres decided to self destruct with little threads pulling away from the tyre carcass , probably had another 1500km on the tread. I have a pair of GP5000 25c but my Giant TCR doesn't have enough clearance for it! :wacko:
Conti tyres are notorious for threads pulling loose from just above the rim.
They stick a fabric chafer strip on to stop the rim hook wearing away at the casing threads, and it's this that's loses thin threads. They aren't structural, and it's fine to just snip them off and forget about them.
Other brands either don't fit a chafer strip, or put it under the outer layer of rubber, rather than sticking it on the otherwise complete tyre as Conti do.

I've noticed there's not much stock around, from bikes , frames, drive train components to inner tubes, everything seems scarce or only available in sizes that I just don't want, or incomplete collections of components when it comes to more complicated assemblies, like hydraulic disc brake components.
Yes, quite, it"s the god given virus isn't it?
Must be tricky for new cyclists.
Personally i"m lucky in that i have lots of bits and my bikes are pretty aligned in what they need.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
They stick a fabric chafer strip on to stop the rim hook wearing away at the casing threads, and it's this that's loses thin threads. They aren't structural, and it's fine to just snip them off and forget about them.
Other brands either don't fit a chafer strip, or put it under the outer layer of rubber, rather than sticking it on the otherwise complete tyre as Conti do.
Didn’t know that! however I did run a set of Conti 4 seasons , good tyres not one puncture but failed massively with a side wall blow out ! Never bought again

Didn't know that but rings true from experience.
Thanks.
I do know that these Conti 28mm thingies seem to be seriously undersized.
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-touring-plus-reflex-city-road-tyre?sku=100101

Don't know if any of their other 28mm tyres are, they definitely weren't in the days I used the Conti Touring 2000 which I really liked but was discontinued for some reason.

I'm good at getting tough tyres onto rims but gave up on several which I know do take 28mm tyres.

In the end I managed to get them on an old CXP22 rim so need to build up a wheel in that.

Have used Conti tyres for years but the experience has made me wary of them - I mean if you can't even make/quality control your tyres to spec?

Top Bottom