New Tyre Suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mburton1993

Mburton1993

Über Member
I ride on the same roads as you. My Conti 5000s are good for at least 3000 miles. They aren't bomb proof but the vast majority of tyres aren't. Their rolling resistance is low but grip is decent. You can get them for about £34 each so that's 2p a mile for a pair. Not sure 4000s are still available

Yes the 4000s aren't available anymore I would have to go on eBay to buy them, l'm considering them because in my previous post some people reckon they were better than the 5000s.

£34 though, that's good. :smile:

If you decide on schwalbe, always buy from spa cycles in harrogate, their discounts on this make are brilliant
I use Spa a fair bit - If you've used them recently can I ask how much they charge for postage on tyres ?(their website says they apply a supplement for "large bulky" items.

vickster

Legendary Member
I use Spa a fair bit - If you've used them recently can I ask how much they charge for postage on tyres ?(their website says they apply a supplement for "large bulky" items.
As an example, £4 for a couple of 23mm Durano wired tyres if you just add to basket on website and go to checkout 👍

Attachments

• C1A66932-19C0-4D74-B033-D9439BCCDDD6.png
    C1A66932-19C0-4D74-B033-D9439BCCDDD6.png
    67.3 KB · Views: 2
As an example, £4 for a couple of 32mm Durano wired tyres if you just add to basket on website and go to checkout 👍
that's very reasonable indeed - Planet X seem to insist on bumping you up to the £6.99 charge for similar.
(suppose I could have checked but their website is so clunky i had imagined i'd have to jump through loads of hoops before finding out.)

vickster

Legendary Member
that's very reasonable indeed - Planet X seem to insist on bumping you up to the £6.99 charge for similar.
(suppose I could have checked but their website is so clunky i had imagined i'd have to jump through loads of hoops before finding out.)
Dunno, I never really use PX
I’ve never had an issue with the Spa site :scratch:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

On a vintage steel bike, tanwalls look 10 times better if they are available in that type of tyre. If Marathon Greenguards came in a tanwall version, I would equip with them as I needed replacements. The nearest "look" I can get is to use the reflex stripe version. I only really think all-black tyres really suit vintage 3-speed roadsters, everything else looks better with a different colour sidewall, especially old-school drop bar machines with DT shifters.

You outing yourself as a hipster skipdiver?
It'll be limegreen or pink rims next.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
You outing yourself as a hipster skipdiver? It'll be limegreen or pink rims next.

I thought to be a proper Hipster you needed:-
A frame that's really a size too small.
The bars set too low for comfort.
A lack of gears.
A Brooks leather saddle.
Skinny fit trousers.
A beard.

Apart from one bike that is a little smaller than I would prefer, I don't meet any of those criteria, and my one slightly small frame has high set bars, a triple crankset and 18 ratios - as non-hipster as you can get. :laugh:

Top Bottom