new tyres are lethal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
The answer is in the name - 'Hardshell'

To be very puncture resisistant, the outer layer of rubber is much harder than normal. Hard rubber does not deform easily so the road can't grip it as well (yes, it's the tarmac that grips the rubber and not the other way round). Think trying to pick up over-inflated football with one hand.

My Bontrager Racelite Hardcase are also very skittish in the wet. Be a little more careful when wet and/or lower your PSI a little if maxed out.

gbb

Legendary Member
I use gators all the time. Yes they are as slippery as an eel in the wet at first, but i don't suffer once the surface has scrubbed off. A few rides and they're fine. Can't think i ever normally feel nervous in the wet once they've been used a bit.
As previously said, it could be oil on the road. I went round a bend a couple years ago in the wet and almost completely lost the back end. Those were well bedded in tyres, so it's fair to assume there was oil/diesel on the road.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
whats the best way to get it off?

Similar thing with motorbike tyres. They have a slippy release agent on them to get them out of the tyre mold at manufacture, and its still on for those first rides. Many a new bike, or bike with new tyres has spent some time on its side due to it.

The best way to get it off is to ride it off. Easily done on the centre bit, but for the sides try to find some grippy and dry tarmac and start to lean it over like the motorbikes do on the warm up lap at the start of a race, from one side to the other. Start of with small lean angles and build up

albion

Guru
I noticed that with my CST Selecta tyres with the rear once skidding out when braking in the wet.

Suffice to say I immediately adjusted my style to being less aggressive in wet conditions.

The rear appears appears to have minimal wear in the 2000+ miles done in the last 6 months so no doubt it is to be expected.

Top Bottom