new tyres are lethal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adam23

has anyone else got continental gator hardshelss i went out on them sunday and it was a bit moist out and my tyres

made my whole ride feel un steady after i was going along and they tried to break away from me twice and at

a pretty low speed as well, this caused me problems because there is a nice down hill section on my route that
you can hit 50 mph easy if you get you head down but ii bottled it this weekend and it ruined my ride a bit.

these tyres had 100 miles put on them in the 2 weeks prior to this outing as well.

It seems to be the price you pay for p'ture resistance, I had a Spesh Nimbus Amadillo I didn't like in the wet either. Unfortunately one slide makes most folks (my self included :blush: ) tense up which doesn't help so it may not have been fully down to the tyre in both cases.

Davidc

Guru
I always find new tyres of all makes slip in the wet for the first couple of hundred miles, though your description sounds a bit extreme.

Same goes for car tyres too. Perhaps it's something left on the outside or just the way the manufacturing leaves the surface.

Bought a set of these last winter. Rode with them until July before getting Schwalbe Ultremo DD's which were basically shredded on a wet sportive. Never seemed to have a problem in the wet until last Wednesday. This was about the only wet ride I can remember in a long while (SE England is considerably drier) so I was not expecting anything unexpected, but twice on a fairly short but quick descent in heavy rain I felt they were going away from me. Now it may have been a little oil on the road or diesel, but they seem less grippy than I remember. i agree with the tensing up issue also. Vredestein duo comp seem to be OK on the Ridley though.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
If it was the first rain for a while, then all the oil/grime/detergent left on the road during the dry spell will have been mixed up in the rain leaving a slippery surface. The Gatorskins seem to be a bit binary with regards to wet performance though. Some seem to think they're fine and some find them slippery as fish.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have been using gator skins for a couple of years and i cant say i ahve had a problem with them, i do use panniers on the back so maybe the extra weight is a factor.
On a wet ride a few weeks ago on conti ultra sports i was scared though as the grip on those was utter tripe, changed to blizzard sport and they were the opposite as they were heavy going.

OP
OP
A

adam23

cheers for the comments guys i will stick with them for a bit longer and run them in, it was a light rain before we went out so

probably a bit greasy on the surface to be honest.

Your tyres may still have the paraffin wax on them which is used by manufacturers as a mould release agent.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I've got the same tyres, done about 1,000 miles on them and know exactly what you mean.
Very skittish on wet tarmac, I lost traction on the rear maybe 3 times yesterday, but it's just something you need to learn about your tyre and then know when it's going to slip and try and avoid that situation.
It was very wet today and I didn't lose traction once.

OP
OP
A

adam23

sounds like i need to man up then haha,

hey magoo loving your tribute to sic such a loss to moto gp and the best character out there gone

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I had the same problem with Gatorskins. Absolutely sod-all grip in the wet.

Moved onto Michelin Krylion tyres for winter and now have both wet weather grip and a puncture resistant tyre.

Top Bottom