New tyres.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vorsprung

Veteran
All the tyres mentioned in this thread:

Ultremo ZX - extremely fast, grippy, very light. But not the strongest tyre, in particular prone to sidewall damage. I think they are brilliant but if I had just one bike it would not have them on

Michelin Pro Race 4 - I haven't tried the version "4" but the 2 and 3 are great, more durable and strong than the Ultremos but also incredibly fast and strong. If you have only used something like a Conti Ultra Gatorskin then put on some of these for summer, your bike will feel like it's had a rocket fitted on it

Vittoria Rubinos - these are cheap and strong and durable. Much more puncture resistant than the Ultremo/Pro Race but not as grippy/fast. A lot of people rate the "Pro" version as a notably good tyre

I am not trolling about the Gatorskins btw. I've used them, they are ok compromise tyres but they are nowhere near the Michelin Pro for "performance". They have good puncture resistance (if you live in a non flinty area) however.

Robeh

Ultremo ZX - extremely fast, grippy, very light. But not the strongest tyre, in particular prone to sidewall damage. I think they are brilliant but if I had just one bike it would not have them on
i had sidewall problems on a set a while back but still a fantastic Tyre ..

OP
OP
A

Adam Harris

Regular
No nothing I'm unhappy with. Just a few punctures which I thought was down to the tyres. Looks like I have decent tyres so will think about the wheel upgrade I stead. Currently have Easton ea30 wheels which came with the bike.

Told you I knew nothing about rubber lol

Thanks for your replies. Much needed research will continue to improve my knowledge.

Siegfried

I got a cube last summer with easton ea30 wheels and zx ultemo tyres. The tyres have stood up to a fair amount of abuse throughout the year on some pretty terrible roads with a single puncture so far (and they are a joy to ride on). The wheels haven't and have been replaced. If you want to upgrade your cube then probably best to ditch the wheels but hang on to the tyres.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
All the tyres mentioned in this thread:

Michelin Pro Race 4 - I haven't tried the version "4" but the 2 and 3 are great, more durable and strong than the Ultremos but also incredibly fast and strong. If you have only used something like a Conti Ultra Gatorskin then put on some of these for summer, your bike will feel like it's had a rocket fitted on it

Vittoria Rubinos - these are cheap and strong and durable. Much more puncture resistant than the Ultremo/Pro Race but not as grippy/fast. A lot of people rate the "Pro" version as a notably good tyre

I am not trolling about the Gatorskins btw. I've used them, they are ok compromise tyres but they are nowhere near the Michelin Pro for "performance". They have good puncture resistance (if you live in a non flinty area) however.
I do run gators on the commuter and like you say they are a good compromise as my commute take sin some pretty dodgy glass strewn bits , i just need a better tyre for my weekender as i think it is still running the stock conti ultra sports but there is still plenty of live in them so i am liable to just wear them out before i buy an upgrade or would gators be better then the ultra sports ? i do have a spare set of gators .

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Ultremo's ZX = Fast, light (because they are about as thick as a condom), super quick wearing, questionable quality, prone to sidewall damage and minimal puncture protection.

I like the Ultremo's ride quality but the tyre is just to difficult to live with. I much prefer conti GP4000s which are nearly as fast but so much more durable.
I'm also a big fan of the new 700x24c s-works Turbo which is an amazing Tyre with a great ride quality and performance

Top Bottom