New tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

noddy63

HI all
Toying with the idea of changing the 25mm tyres on my endurance road bike to 28mm, anyone got any recommendations or should i stay on 25's. Cheers

si_c

Guru
I'd wait until the current ones are worn out, but if they fit go for it. If happy with the current tires on then just size up.

Slight increase in comfort, and a bit more grip in inclement weather.

Edit: I have 28s on all my road bikes and wouldn't go smaller.

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you have clearance for 28s?
I’ve got 28mm Vitoria Open Pave on my new to me Genesis Eq which are rather nice and make a cool Whooshy noise on good road surfaces ^_^

Conti GP5000 get good feedback, but not cheap nor the greatest puncture resistance if that’s important

OP
OP
N

noddy63

Came with Continental Ultra sports on and had no problems so far, should last a bit longer yet. By the way how many miles should get out of a set of tyres ? given i usually do around between 60-100 miles/wk on normal roads

I'd wait until the current ones are worn out, but if they fit go for it. If happy with the current tires on then just size up.

Slight increase in comfort, and a bit more grip in inclement weather.

Edit: I have 28s on all my road bikes and wouldn't go smaller.
Agree with @si_c 28s or 32s on bikes now. Had Schwalbe Duranos on for couple of years, zero punctures. Just bought Conti GP5000 28s going on this weekend, suspect they will be good as well.

OP
OP
N

noddy63

Do you have clearance for 28s?
I’ve got 28mm Vitoria Open Pave on my new to me Genesis Eq which are rather nice and make a cool Whooshy noise on good road surfaces ^_^

Conti GP5000 get good feedback, but not cheap nor the greatest puncture resistance if that’s important
Just had the bike in for a service and we checked the clearance for 28mm, quite close but they will be ok

As I am on the subject....some advice please. New Eastons are 'tubeless ready'. Assume I take the plastic layer out, pop on rim tape and I am away. Thought I would ask before cocking something up ^_^

vickster

Legendary Member
Just had the bike in for a service and we checked the clearance for 28mm, quite close but they will be ok
No chance with mudguards then

i get a few thousand miles from tyres I guess, but that’s mostly in the dry

si_c

Guru
Came with Continental Ultra sports on and had no problems so far, should last a bit longer yet. By the way how many miles should get out of a set of tyres ? given i usually do around between 60-100 miles/wk on normal roads

Depends on the wheel. I get about 2k miles from the rear and up to 5k on the front in all weathers on Vittoria Zaffiros. The Bontrager AW2s on my bad weather wheels seem to be wearing similarly, I've got about 2k on the rear and it has a noticably flattened profile with quite a few nicks when compared to the front, but I reckon that it's still got easily a few hundred miles before the point at which replacement becomes necessary. The front looks good as new.

As I am on the subject....some advice please. New Eastons are 'tubeless ready'. Assume I take the plastic layer out, pop on rim tape and I am away. Thought I would ask before cocking something up ^_^

Yup, they come with valves installed and sealed rims don't they? Just need a bottle of sealant and you're good to go.
I bought a charge cannister when I switched to tubeless, to help with the initial seating of the beads onto the rims, but it's not really been necessary - a track pump and dry-run, then inject the sealant through the valve, spin the wheel a few times on each side to spread the sealant and off you go.

Yup, they come with valves installed and sealed rims don't they? Just need a bottle of sealant and you're good to go.
I bought a charge cannister when I switched to tubeless, to help with the initial seating of the beads onto the rims, but it's not really been necessary - a track pump and dry-run, then inject the sealant through the valve, spin the wheel a few times on each side to spread the sealant and off you go.
Thanks, i am using tubes as tyres not tubeless type, it all seems more complicated than it used to be ^_^

Are you thinking of the odd bit of off road, gravelly stuff?
Panaracer Gravel Kings in 28mm just about fit in my old Felt Z85 road bike / winter hack and give me the option of a little off road if I fancy it.
Nice grippy tyre without massive tread patterns and some decent puncture protection. They also do a 26mm of the more off road oriented version called Gravel King SK which fit into the winter hack.
I generally run Conti GP4000ii tyres on my out and out road bikes and have a small stock of 25mm left but they are running out fast. Last for ages and are really good at deflecting cuts and punctures but you can'y buy them anymore. I have had mixed reports from club members that have gone over to GP5000 tyres with some cutting up really badly after only a couple of rides compared to the older GP4000ii.

Top Bottom