New tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I've mentioned this before but it's now definitely time to get some new tyres for my tourer. I currently have Specialized Nimbus Armadillos and I haven't had a puncture in 12 years and thousands of miles. Those are the kind of stats I'm looking to replicate. Do I get more of the same or is there anything new and better on the market?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Based on those stats nope there won't be anything better.

I once did seven years on Gatorskins but 12.......:eek:

raggydoll

Über Member
I've had armadillos on one of my bikes for 7 years or so with no punctures.
The only other ones I've looked into were gatorskins but as with cyberknight, I've heard mixed reviews on them.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Marathon Plus are less sticky but stiffer. Other Marathon range and other Schwalbe Plus tyres are better compromises for most people.

I never really got on with Nimbus Armadillos. The flints seemed to stick to them and then the wheel rotation would hammer them through the tyre. The final straw was when one delaminated!

I had Armadillos and thought them OK but not that special, Hamsterskins rode much better, gripped much better but as the nick(clue)name implies a bit fragile. Do you weigh nothing and cycle 6 miles a year? In that case I'd get 12 years out of anything ;)

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I had Armadillos and thought them OK but not that special, Hamsterskins rode much better, gripped much better but as the nick(clue)name implies a bit fragile. Do you weigh nothing and cycle 6 miles a year? In that case I'd get 12 years out of anything ;)
I had a long period of not cycling or using my other bikes so it’s not quite as dramatic as it sounds but they have been really good to me!

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I've got Schwalbe Marathon Supremes on my hybrid. Nice compromise of decent puncture protection and still roll nicely.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I used to ride Spesh Armadillos but got fed up with the delamination after a few thousand miles. I changed to the far superior Durano Plus. Longer lasting and quicker rolling.

froze

Über Member
Sounds like you want an almost flat proof tire, and the only tire that comes the closest to that dream is the Schwalbe Marathon HS440 that Schwalbe calls flatless...not so sure about that because I think any tire can get a flat, but it's very likely you could get thousands of miles on several sets and not get flats. They are also long wearing with loaded touring bike people claiming an average of 5,000 miles while loaded!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I used to ride Spesh Armadillos but got fed up with the delamination after a few thousand miles. I changed to the far superior Durano Plus. Longer lasting and quicker rolling.
just got some of those for the commuter so im hoping they are as good as you say , i was running the wiggle lifeline tyres which were fast rolling but did find they cut up easily as they held the small bit of gravel in the tread and on investiation it was pretty much only the puncture belt holding the tyre together in the end

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I've managed 3 1/2 years of no Fairy visits on the bikes I have equipped with either Marathon Greenguard or Delta Cruiser+ which have the same level of protection. I'm probably on borrowed time given the sort of roads I ride on, but I try to give myself the best chance by watching what I'm riding over and checking the tyres for embedded objects whenever I'm forced to go through a patch of broken glass fragments. The tough Marathon rubber compound doesn't seem too much of a flint magnet. Most times you ride over nasties you don't find any in the tyre tread after.

Top Bottom