New Welsh Exercise rules clear as mud.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
The Welsh Government guidelines state:
"Cycling should be local, as a rule of thumb limited to travelling no further than a reasonable walking distance from home."
What a load of crap which does not make sense. In my case, this confines me to an area where there will be many other people around (walking, cycling) and I would need to do several loops in order to make it worthwhile. It rules out my usual route, which is more out towards the countryside where I rarely come close to anyone. The guidelines do nothing to stop the spread of coronavirus - in fact, I'd argue that it could it could increase the spread. Ironically, the same guidlines suggest a maximum of 4 hours cycling at once. I'm dumbfounded. Times like this need common sense.
Man complains he is not permitted to do what he likes on a bike during national crisis.
It's not a good look:sad:.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Man complains he is not permitted to do what he likes on a bike during national crisis.
It's not a good look:sad:.
I think you're misreading someone protesting against being forced to choose between not maintaining their health and exercising in denser-populated areas, apparently needlessly. It seems like a massive own goal and act of national harm by the Welsh govt.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think that the 'walking distance' suggestion is to cover the situation where the cyclist has a problem and may not be able to cycle back.

(In England) I am staying within a 2 hour brisk walk range. I wouldn't want to walk in MTB SPD cycling shoes with a broken bike for 2 hours from the most extreme point of my ride, but I could do it.

I definitely wouldn't fancy a 10-20 hour walk with my bike so I will leave the Yorkshire Dales and Forest of Bowland for post-virus rides!

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
As from today, cyclists must ride" within a reasonable walking distance" in Wales. So what is a reasonable walking distance? 4 to 5 miles ?
Fortunately, it won't concern me as I have resolved not to go out on my bike until the lockdown is lifted.
On the other hand, I wish the Welsh government would be more precise and give a figure as this new rule is open to individual interpretation.

Jody

Stubborn git
The document I read last night said you should be no further than 10 miles from your home at any point.

Not that it effects me as I'm not in Wales.

Edit

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/new-wales-rules-exercising-during-18142904?utm_source

Duc gas

Über Member
The document I read last night said you should be no further than 10 miles from your home at any point.

Not that it effects me as I'm not in Wales.
I saw the 10 miles from your home too, so if you cycle out 10 miles and do a full circle and then cycle back home that's over 80 miles, lol. But in all seriousness I think everyone on here is sensible enough to do what they think is right in this situation, we get enough people having a pop at us..... keep safe 👍😀

The first posts show what is so inconsistent about these guidelines. I am not sure where you have seen the 'no further than 10 Miles from home', but if that is genuine then it means that 20 miles is considered a reasonable walk.

Respect!

My favourite ride is around 10 miles out and the same back, but I have just spent some time working out how I can get some rides of around 90 minutes with a mix of climbing/flat without going more than four miles from the house.

Jody

Stubborn git
The first posts show what is so inconsistent about these guidelines. I am not sure where you have seen the 'no further than 10 Miles from home', but if that is genuine then it means that 20 miles is considered a reasonable walk.

Respect!

It's in the article that was linked and also on the official press release. They want you to be no further than 10 miles from your house incase you have a mechanical and have to walk home.

It doesn't mean 20 miles is an acceptable distance to walk :rolleyes: but I like your thinking.

Top Bottom