New wheel or repair ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
After a great day riding car free on yet another great fun let's ride event. I had one of them silly how did that happen slow motion moments. Just as I was getting off to at the station door some how I brushed one of the anti car bollards. :wacko:

Down I went my thigh landed on the rear wheel. I'm ok and rest of the bike is fine at last the rear mech escaped.

I thought all was well but it's not. Quickly I found it is clearly catching the brake at one part stopping it moving. Only turns freely when brake is opened via the QR. Having seen my thigh it's clear it was one hard fall.

So it's either bent the rim or is no longer running true.

Not had the wheel off going to have good look tomorrow. If I remove the wheel and the tyre I guess it will be clear if it's bent ? Guessing if it's bent it's new wheel time?

None of the sporks are damaged , lose or popped.

So worth getting LBS to give it once over and fixing or just replace it?

Guessing if it's bent it's new wheel time?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'd get the LBS to try and true the wheel first - usually that's enough unless it's completely bent.

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
Just picked up the wheel from the LBS They've managed to get it fixed best they can.
It's still a bit out but works just fine. :smile:

silva

Über Member
I use a quality (precise thread / little tolerance not the crap that has plenty room to move even without turning its wheel) english key for it, fairly big for such small nipple, but it works. It's a matter of taking into account the big leverage and I do this by pushing more away from the tools end.
I had some spoke keys but I must have had crap, they got rounded off in no time rendering them totally useless.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
I had a wheel similar to that that was a bit bent. I true'ed it as best I could and I found that over time it kind of coaxed it back into the correct position. Then after about 6 months I was able to true it a bit better than before.

Is there any science/logic to this?

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia

I went for a secondhand wheel including tyre for £10 on facebook market rather than spend Sunday afternoon playing about with my son's wheel after he fell off on a downhill path at 11pm. I may find time to tinker about with it in a few weeks. I have let the air out of the tyre.

Top Bottom