New Wheelset ~ £450

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
uclown2002

uclown2002

Guru
Remember, factory wheels are a nightmare to find replacements spokes should one break, they go almost unrideable if you break just one spoke, they are near impossible to get perfectly true, and if the rim or hub fails the entire wheel is in the bin!
Why is it so difficult to get replacement spokes?

simon.r

Person
One of my considerations when buying new wheels is how noisy the freehub is. Obviously it's just personal preference but I hate noisy freehubs. No idea about Mavics, but IME Shimano freehubs are quiet.

mattobrien

Guru
One of my considerations when buying new wheels is how noisy the freehub is. Obviously it's just personal preference but I hate noisy freehubs. No idea about Mavics, but IME Shimano freehubs are quiet.
I find a noisy free hub reminds me to keep pedalling, either that or it tells the people I am riding with that they should pedal faster as I have stopped completely ^_^

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Why would they be harsher to ride than a wheel with similar width rim? Look into tyres and tyre pressure if you want a softer ride.
That was my comment.

I dont know why. I suspect the carbon on the dura ace rims and stiffer spokes on the ksryiums have something to do with it.

What I do know is that back to back, on the same roads with the same tyres at the same pressures the c24s were smoother and more comfortable.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Why is it so difficult to get replacement spokes?

Most quality factory wheels have straight pull not typical J bend spokes used for the vast majority of hubs. Higher end Mavics have proprietary Zircal if not carbon spokes on special nipples. You would be exceedingly lucky to find correct replacement for such at a typical LBS.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
That was my comment.

I dont know why. I suspect the carbon on the dura ace rims and stiffer spokes on the ksryiums have something to do with it.

What I do know is that back to back, on the same roads with the same tyres at the same pressures the c24s were smoother and more comfortable.
Roger Muson, whom I learnt wheel building from is of the opinion that spokes type, spokes tension, number of spokes have no influence on how comfortable the wheels are to ride. The only time when wheels can make for a softer ride is when a rim is wider and can take a wider tyre.
In my experience I find it very difficult to notice any difference but I did notice a little softer ride when I went to 23mm rims but I have to say the biggest difference was when I had a puncture on my rear wheel and I couldn't inflate the tube fully, not even with 25mm tyres I got such a comfortable ride.

I've heard that cx-ray spokes or less spokes make for a comfortable ride but I just don't buy it. The spokes on your Mavic are very stiff but don't forget the wheels have fewer spokes than wheels built with more flexible spokes.
I also hear that latex tube offer a softer ride, something I need to investigate / test myself.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
I hate it when my real world experience and personal experience lies to me.

Pays your money, take your choice. Your experience may vary to mine.

Last edited:

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Roger Muson, whom I learnt wheel building from is of the opinion that spokes type, spokes tension, number of spokes have no influence on how comfortable the wheels are to ride. The only time when wheels can make for a softer ride is when a rim is wider and can take a wider tyre.

+1, just like the ridiculous myth that carbon seatposts improve comfort.

But for sure many wheels on low/mid price bikes have inadequate spoke tension, are flexible and can presumably offer some sort of "comfort"; but that is also why their spokes break and the wheels don't last, as Jobst Brandt explains in his book.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
+1, just like the ridiculous myth that carbon seatposts improve comfort.

But for sure many wheels on low/mid price bikes have inadequate spoke tension, are flexible and can presumably offer some sort of "comfort"; but that is also why their spokes break and the wheels don't last, as Jobst Brandt explains in his book.

I haven't read Bobst Brandt's book but I would agree with that. As the wheel goes round the loose spokes facing the ground will move more that they should and that in time will cause the spoke to break near the head due to metal fatigue.

OP
OP
uclown2002

uclown2002

Guru
Anyone know what spacers are required to fit a 10 speed cassette on the ksyrium elites?
The wheels come with a Mavic (1.75mm?) spacer but wondering whether I need a thinner shimano one also.

Last edited:
Top Bottom