New winter bike day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rockpig

Über Member
72F2BD03-661B-4324-9D3A-24BFBDBF216A.jpeg
Picked up my new winter bike today, a Giant Contend SL Disc. My Giant Advanced Pro 1 can now stay out of the rain and come out when the sun is shining and I’m not wearing 4 layers to keep warm. Got a good deal from my LBS who did the fit today, just needed a slightly shorter stem. Mudguards arrive tomorrow and then it’ll be ready to take out.

Slick

Guru
Nice, everyone loves new bike day winter or otherwise. Enjoy.

ozboz

Guru
Very nice looking ! , I like this style of bike , I looked at a Marida and Boardman , the discs on those two allow you to our wider tyres on , handy for bad weather and track cycling , , can you get wider tyres on that one ?

OP
OP
rockpig

rockpig

Über Member
Very nice looking ! , I like this style of bike , I looked at a Marida and Boardman , the discs on those two allow you to our wider tyres on , handy for bad weather and track cycling , , can you get wider tyres on that one ?
Giant say you can get 28s on it and some 32s but to check as some are wider than others. It came with tubeless 25s which was a nice surprise.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm putting on Crud Mk3s - the front one is now on and looks really nice (for a mudguard). Will do the rear one at the weekend.
Make sure all the fixings are very tight, if not superglued...or you could get home missing half a rear mudguard which happened to me on a maiden voyage! Never again

OP
OP
rockpig

rockpig

Über Member
Make sure all the fixings are very tight, if not superglued...or you could get home missing half a rear mudguard which happened to me on a maiden voyage! Never again
Was this the part that should have stayed attached to the seat stays or the bit that goes down towards the bottom bracket?

vickster

Legendary Member
Was this the part that should have stayed attached to the seat stays or the bit that goes down towards the bottom bracket?
The tail bit on the back but I’ve lost the fixings that attach the stays to the mudguard on the front too!

Glue all the nuts
They’ll rub like buggery too

Can the bike take proper mudguards?!

OP
OP
rockpig

rockpig

Über Member
If you are going to get a dedicated winter bike why would you not get one that will take (and then fit) full length, "proper" mudguards?
I started off with that intent and was going to buy the Giant specific ones. When I looked into it more they didn’t get great reviews. My LBS suggested raceblades but they don’t fully cover the back wheel. Their next suggestion was the Crud ones. I’ve read good reviews of them on Giant frames so they seemed a reasonable way to go. If they turn out to be rubbish I’ll go back to the drawing board. Oh, and a removable front guard will make it easier when carrying the bike in the back of my car.

Top Bottom