New winter bike day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I started off with that intent and was going to buy the Giant specific ones. When I looked into it more they didn’t get great reviews. My LBS suggested raceblades but they don’t fully cover the back wheel. Their next suggestion was the Crud ones. I’ve read good reviews of them on Giant frames so they seemed a reasonable way to go. If they turn out to be rubbish I’ll go back to the drawing board. Oh, and a removable front guard will make it easier when carrying the bike in the back of my car.
Your right, I fitted permanent guards to my bike but it soon became a pain in the ass when carrying it in the car so swapped the front one for the clip on type which works perfectly.

mustang1

Guru
Nice bike.

I've had my Contend SL1 Disc for about 6 weeks now and I agree they're great bikes. I've fitted it with Race Blades for the winter.
View attachment 395752

Cool bike! Why did you choose crud mudguards as opposed to (for example) full length ones? I'm asking because I'm kind of interested in a Contend and wondered if full length ones will fit?

vickster

Legendary Member
Your right, I fitted permanent guards to my bike but it soon became a pain in the ass when carrying it in the car so swapped the front one for the clip on type which works perfectly.
I've never had an issue with front mudguards in the car but I don't have to take the wheel off

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Cool bike! Why did you choose crud mudguards as opposed to (for example) full length ones? I'm asking because I'm kind of interested in a Contend and wondered if full length ones will fit?

Thanks.

The guards are SKS Race Blade Pro XLs, not Cruds.
The reasons are that I had Crud Road Racers on my previous bike and while they did the job they needed frequent adjustment and moved around a bit, squeaking and rattling when riding. They were also a faff to put on / take off.

The Race Blades are fitted (or removed) in seconds and once fine tuned on the first ride haven't moved at all since fitted. They don't give quite as good coverage as full guards (although they keep the mud off me) but the benefits far outweigh this pretty minor point.

Top Bottom