New women's bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kynikos

Veteran
My other (better) half is not averse to having a try at cycling again after a 50 odd year lay off - and she wasn't very confident then!

She'll not want to do other than pootle along with the family and grandkids (3 years old but getting a few miles under the belt) so an easy ride is called for.

She's 5' 4" tall with a 28" leg (well two legs actually).

I'm thinking along the lines of:
Step through frame
Hub gears
26 inch max wheels
46/47 cm frame (I'd rather something on the small side so she can start with the saddle down a bit 'til she gains confidence)

I've tried a quick trawl through the established brands but not found anything fitting the bill. Tried an Orbea Katu but she wasn't impressed with the mixte frame and the saddle height was a couple of inches higher than she felt comfortable with.

Any suggestions?

sleuthey

Legendary Member
No expert on that style of bike but I’d say the step through frame and hub gears are the right choice. I would not limit your search to 26” wheels max though.

John_S

Über Member
Hi kynikos,

Following on from what sleuthed has said I'm struggling at the moment to find 26" wheel options but if you're willing to consider 700c there are some options that I can think of to at least consider.

The German brand VSF do a few bikes that might fit the bill and although not widely available in every single bike shop depending on where you are they are stocked in some independent bike shops.

https://www.fahrradmanufaktur.de/en/fahrrad/citybike.php

There are some bikes in The Light Blue urban bikes range which might be worth considering:-

https://www.thelightblue.co.uk/Urban/products

Islabikes make a step through framed bike although it doesn't have hub gears. I did look at the Joni sizing chart and for the extra small frame it says that minimum inside leg is 65cm (25.6") and the max inside leg is 76cm (29.9") so it might be okay. The website says that it's currently out of stock but estimates that it will be available again on the 24th August 2020 so it depends how quickly you need a bike:-

https://www.islabikes.co.uk/product/bikes/icons/joni/

But with any search for bikes at the current time availability can be the tricky bit.

Good luck with your search!

Cellist

My other (better) half is not averse to having a try at cycling again after a 50 odd year lay off - and she wasn't very confident then!

She'll not want to do other than pootle along with the family and grandkids (3 years old but getting a few miles under the belt) so an easy ride is called for.

She's 5' 4" tall with a 28" leg (well two legs actually).

I'm thinking along the lines of:
Step through frame
Hub gears
26 inch max wheels
46/47 cm frame (I'd rather something on the small side so she can start with the saddle down a bit 'til she gains confidence)

I've tried a quick trawl through the established brands but not found anything fitting the bill. Tried an Orbea Katu but she wasn't impressed with the mixte frame and the saddle height was a couple of inches higher than she felt comfortable with.

Any suggestions?
Have a look at the Bobbin website.Evans sell their bikes too.I have a Bobbin Brownie step through Dutch style bike but with brakes.It is absolutely perfect for what your wife would like to do.I love mine..it’s not too heavy either..I can lift mine up steps with no trouble even with a basket on the front and rack on the back. The saddle is like an armchair! Plus the colours are absolutely gorgeous.All my friends ask for a “go” on mine. I rode mine yesterday for 20 k on lovely country ride and was so comfortable.

gcogger

Maybe see if she can try an Electra Loft 7i from Trek. I don't know how the sizing would work out, but the geometry is apparently designed to allow you to put your feet on the ground more easily than other bikes ('Flat Foot Technology' in marketing speak :smile:). My wife has a 7D, which is much the same but with derailleur gears, and loves it.

Top Bottom