New Years Eve?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

barq

Pubs around my way are mostly £20 entry which is a pain because it turns a pub crawl into an insanely expensive outing. Also most of my friends have gone back to their parental homes for Christmas and so aren't around for NYE which is a bit sad.

Anyway I'm currently considering going for a night ride and watching the fireworks over Guildford. Alternatively if I'm warm, comfy and can't be bothered to go out I'll stay in, then do an early morning ride on the 1st and feel all virtuous about not being hungover. :wacko:

My best NYE was a warehouse party near Gatwick airport. It was at an old paint factory in some woodland. I remember snow falling and catching the green lasers... ;)

Plax

Guru
ChrisKH said:
Coz you are married with kids. ;)

Yeah, that usually doesn't help :wacko:.

Old age has caught up with me and I can't really be bothered with it. The pubs are just packed with youngsters thinking they are all it and it just gets on my nerves. They just drink to excess and ruin it for every one else by being loud & obnoxious and then starting a fight.

Mr Plax and I are enjoying the delights of "dinner & a disco" with my mum & stepdad, godparents and my sister and her boyfriend. Might sneak out afterwards to my dads for a few drinks as it's his birthday and it'd be rude not to (also I've promised Mr Plax we won't spend too long in the company of my mother - I think she scares him..........).

gavintc

Guru
New Year's Eve is a big affair in our household. My wife's birthday coincides, so we usually have a party. This year is no exception and we are meeting a bunch of friends for lunch in an Edinburgh restaurant. Evening meal in another restaurant with some other friends and then onto Princes St Gardens for the concert and fireworks. We will probably conclude with a few drinks in a local pub.

Cranky

It might be age, I suppose, but I like to stay in have a couple of large single malts away from all the madness. I usually watch Jools Holland, mainly out of habit these days, although that programme's format seems to get more tired every year, too.

I'll never forget NYE 2003 when Mrs & Miss Cranky were away visiting relatives. I'd just had my meal, poured a large glass of single malt, put the telly on and then there was a power cut. Luckily, some neighbours who weren't affected rang me and invited me round to theirs.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
We always meet up with a group of friends and see in the New Year with them. I enjoy the evening, no stress, just catching up, and we turn on the TV at midnight for Big Ben and the fireworks...

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I'll be out on new years eve for a ride in the morning and then in the evening MrsP and myself are having a few friends round for an informal gathering. There should be about a dozen or so people.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Got invited to some friends for dinner and will be taking a nice little bottle with me (checkout the vintage :cry: )

vinrouge.jpg

Been saving this up for an occassion and NYE seems as good a reason as any. Besides I have to drink it before 2011 according to the card that came with it :wacko:;)

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Quiet night in - me, the cat, the telly (or recorded telly) and some good food and drink.

I can see Edinburgh Castle and Calton Hill from my livingroom window, so I'll get a good view of the fireworks at the bells - and I'll not have to be out freezing my knackers off to see them :cry:

(Been having a few drinks at my niece's 1st birthday do this afternoon, and tomorrow I'm off out to relatives for New Years Day dinner.)

yello

I'm quietly relieved to see I'm not the only miserable sod on the forum!

I've NEVER been one for parties, even as a teenager/20 something. And New Years parties particular left me feeling like a spare prick. So experience has taught to avoid such things these days. So this year, it's me and the misses, some amaretto, chocolates and coffee, the fire and Taratata on the tele. It's a live music program, like Jules Holland's program, except they're doing a review/highlights of the year and there's no talking head, just music. There's an excellent mix of artists, many I've not seen/heard before. No doubt frickin' BabyShambles will appear at some point and do their Kinks song!

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
People who are staying in are not boring, They (we) are sticking two fingers up at pubs trying to charge OTT prices for beer in plastic glasses, and taxis trying to charge £27 for a 5 mile journey. Oh, and to avoid 'Tinsel Drinkers' that go out once a year, get hammered and spoil the night for others.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm spending a few hours online, then I'll switch on the TV downstairs and NOT 'see in' the New Year! I have enough programmes recorded that I won't have to resort to live TV until the danger hour has passed. I have a bit of a thing about being told when to celebrate. I have to agree with yello about this one...

I remember being pounced on by a young woman at midnight on New Year's Eve when I was about 20 and rather than being pleased about it, I felt vaguely annoyed. I asked her if she'd want to kiss me at any other time and she said "Probably not" so I said "Well, don't bother doing it now then!". She got really shirty about it and asked why I wasn't happy - after all, it was New Year's Eve. No thanks :sad: !

I'm open to offers any other night of the year though... :evil:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
ColinJ said:
I'm spending a few hours online, then I'll switch on the TV downstairs and NOT 'see in' the New Year! I have enough programmes recorded that I won't have to resort to live TV until the danger hour has passed. I have a bit of a thing about being told when to celebrate. I have to agree with yello about this one...

I remember being pounced on by a young woman at midnight on New Year's Eve when I was about 20 and rather than being pleased about it, I felt vaguely annoyed. I asked her if she'd want to kiss me at any other time and she said "Probably not" so I said "Well, don't bother doing it now then!". She got really shirty about it and asked why I wasn't happy - after all, it was New Year's Eve. No thanks :angry: !

That brings back memories of some drunk Aussie females on Princes Street as 1990 arrived. They ran towards us shouting (what we thought) was "Happy New Dick-Head", and trying to snog us. In actual fact, it was "Happy New Decade" they were trying for, and they smelled suspiciously of booze and sick so I declined the kissing.... :sad:

Night Train

Maker of Things
ColinJ said:
I remember being pounced on by a young woman at midnight on New Year's Eve when I was about 20 and rather than being pleased about it, I felt vaguely annoyed. I asked her if she'd want to kiss me at any other time and she said "Probably not" so I said "Well, don't bother doing it now then!". She got really shirty about it and asked why I wasn't happy - after all, it was New Year's Eve. No thanks :sad: !

I'm of the same frame of mind about being 'pounced on' when it has no meaning and wouldn't happen outside of an occasion or influence of alcohol. I'm worth more then that.

I've been aggressively 'pounced on' too many times in the past to find it amusing.

Top Bottom