England : Hertfordshire New Years ride Sunday 6th January

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mchunt

I was planning on heading on almost that route (including Preston hill) but from Letchworth tomorrow a little later, if I don't over sleep I will try to head to Stevenage first and be sociable.

Preston hill it is then!

I thought the aforementioned mountain was dropped from the route?

Evenings!!
Since I enjoyed the ride with Marshmallow Fluff and everyone last weekend so much, I've decided to organise one myself. The route will be taking in country lanes, and we'll be going at an easy conversational pace.
Meet at Stevenage rail station at 0930 on Sunday 6th Jan.
There's car parking, and the train from the North gets in at 0935. Aiming to be finished about 1-ish.
Route will be between 20 and 30 miles, depending on weather, mechanicals and visitations.
Cake stop will be after the half-way point.
Route will be suitable for road bikes. Hills are unavoidable, I'm afraid, but I'll do my best.
No-one gets dropped.
Hello! Is it too late to sign up for this ride. It looks rather good!

Thank you!

Mice

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Aforesaid new bb and chain fitted.. New rear gear cable fitted. Fettled fiddled and aligned. Full gear range now back and clicking and changing smoothly.. But, wait, what's this rubbing and wonkyness? Surely new bb put paid to said wonk? Racks inspects and rolls out bottom lip in pondery.. The mighty thighs have managed to ever so slightly kink the outer chainring.. Ponders, open bottle of red, gives up...

So, yes, I do have other bikes, but not for this ride, as in the distance to get to Stevenage and back quickly(100 round trip) and this ride and comfy and with all lights gadgets etc already mounted. So alas, I canna make it.

Gave blood yesterday too and it went awry, no13 too, which has left my arm quite sore, so guess its for the best. Shame.

Have a good ride and catch you all soon.

OP
OP
TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
@ MrWalnuts - Have you not got a hammer? See you next time!
@ Mice - of course it's not too late!! That goes for anyone else - just turn up and we'll wing it from there.
As long as we don't end up with a peleton of fifty or more, which starts to get unwieldy.
That tea shop on the farm was good last year, emily's i think it was called
We could go there too :biggrin:
I thought the aforementioned mountain was dropped from the route?
It's only little. Takes about 5 minutes to climb. Let's see how we all feel tomorrow. We can avoid it easily.

GM

Legendary Member
Is it OK if I tag along ? enjoyed the last one, was it really nearly 2 years ago!

OP
OP
TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
More the merrier:thumbsup:
I was all set to organise another ride last summer, only I don't remember a day when it wasn't chucking it down!!

BTW, everyone - we will need locks. The bikes aren't visible from the tea stop at Vanstones.
We could just go to Emilys and sit outside with the bikes, but we might swamp them a bit.
This ride's getting a bit well-attended...

OP
OP
TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I was planning on heading on almost that route (including Preston hill) but from Letchworth tomorrow a little later, if I don't over sleep I will try to head to Stevenage first and be sociable.
If you aren't going to make it to Stevenage station for 0930, we'll be passing the Hermit of Redcoats pub and Redcoats Hotel about 0950, I would guess.
From Letchworth, that's out through Willian, Great Wymondly, Little Wymondly and then up past the riding stables or the Blakemore.
If you see a disorganised rabble with a 'bent trike, that'll be us :biggrin:

Top Bottom