New yrs eve fireworks in London - advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

We are going down to London with the kids on Sunday and stopping 2-nights coming back New Yrs Day.
We want to go see the fireworks but with the kids being 5, 7 & 9 - the oldest in a wheelchair and SEN - the main viewing pens for over 2-hours would be too much for the kids.

We're looking to drive in from the West (T5 area) then walk/tube to somewhere decent but still able to basically get about a little with the kids.

A tall order I know, but any advice is welcome.

thom

____
Hi,

We are going down to London with the kids on Sunday and stopping 2-nights coming back New Yrs Day.
We want to go see the fireworks but with the kids being 5, 7 & 9 - the oldest in a wheelchair and SEN - the main viewing pens for over 2-hours would be too much for the kids.

We're looking to drive in from the West (T5 area) then walk/tube to somewhere decent but still able to basically get about a little with the kids.

Is it possible to get onto Waterloo or Lambeth bridges without being in the pens ?
You don't get a perfect view but if you can get to Lambeth bridge that would be better for a line of sight as from Waterloo you are round a bend a bit, Blackfriars bridge even more so.
I've done something like this a couple of times, eschewing the crowds but you find similar people popping a champagne cork and having a sing song but without quite the same crowd pressure.
here is a map:
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa...9172&spn=10.303653,14.210156&t=m&source=embed

gbb

Legendary Member
Hi,

We've done New Years eve several times over the last few years and while i don't know what the viewing pens are, or where they are, but doing the new year there is not for the faint hearted.
Its brilliant, fantastic atmosphere, never seen any trouble, but...
We travel in by tube (possibly not an option for you) and switch lines to get where we want.
Incoming the tubes are busy, but ok. We tend to get into London around 6 / 7 pm, head to the Embankment......and sit it out. If you're not in there by say 9pm...you're going to struggle to get anything like the bast places, it gets shoulder to shoulder, cram packed. Basically you find your spot...and sit it out and wait. There's plenty to keep you occupied, each other, the crowds, the atmosphere, they have a radio broadcast going as well, plenty of music etc etc.
There's plenty of security around the perimeter, so no bottles allowed, you will be checked. This slows things down a bit.
The fireworks are the best ive ever seen, don't suppose i will see better.

Now you've got to get out :wacko:
Tubes are chokka, absolutely packed. It'd take a miracle to get a seat, you're going to be packed in like sardines.
Again, i know you're probably not going by tube, but use the same rules we apply....have an exit plan if you get seperated. Its a nightmare, you can lose each other in the blink of an eye. Whenever we go down the tube...we agree a meeting place if we get seperated, prompted by one occasion when i looked round on the escalator...sh1t..she's gone. Do i carry on, did she get in front, or do i wait, or do i get out and come in again. Did the last and found her sensibly waiting where we'd last seen each other. Phones were useless of course, so a sticky moment that came from nowhere.

A very very different evening can be had, very memorable, but tread carefully, i could see it could so easily go wrong if you didnt take it seriously.

OP
OP
TonyEnjoyD

TonyEnjoyD

Guru
Thanks @gbb and @thom,

Thom, I'm on iPad so your map just gave me all the pie shops in London which I thought was excellent.

All advice will me taken on-board.
Well be driving in as close as we can get then park up and walk.
Don't mind a 30-40 minute walk so just see how that pans out, may get a tube to over by Lambeth Bridge as tats away from the main viewing area on Victoria Embankment, or "the pens" as I referred to them.
Also thinking of Horse Guards Rd but need to check the potential view on street maps first

Thanks again
T

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Hello Tony, if you can get into town early drive along the the river opposite battersea power station, grosvenor road and park by the boris bike stand.Then you'll have a 15 minute walk to Vauxhall bridge you can then decide to walk along in front of the Tate gallery towards Lambeth bridge or just get on Vauxhall bridge.

Getting home the roads will be grid locked for at least 2 hours and then you'll only be doing 2mph at 2am

parking somewhere in Pimlico would be your best bet if you cant park along the river as this will put you 10-20 minutes away from all the fun
have fun and have a happy new year
tc

GM

Legendary Member
Tony, Some good advice there. We did the Lambeth Bridge view a couple years ago as it was as near we could get at 10pm. It's OK but your view is still
restricted. Somewhere slightly less crowded is Primrose Hill, parking will be a lot easier and still a good atmosphere ( worth a google ). The weather should be ok a little rain early evening, but ok for the midnight hour. Enjoy!

Top Bottom