new zealand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
jay clock said:
New Zealand is an awful place, don't go there. Some of the industrial areas of former Soviet countries can offer lovely cycling I hear.

I knew you'd talk sense JC. How is Chernobyl at this time of year?;)

Tony

Reg should admit to being a Kiwi himself....

Anyway, Bonj, what are you thinking of? There are places with no mobile reception for you to ring your breakdown service.....

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
In yesterdays "The man who cycled the world", he seemed to enjoy NZ, the fact the scenery was forever changing, and he did mention hills.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Tony said:
Reg should admit to being a Kiwi himself....

Anyway, Bonj, what are you thinking of? There are places with no mobile reception for you to ring your breakdown service.....

you don't need a breakdown service Tone. New zealand's a civilised country, it's not like i'm thinking of going to the gobi desert in outer friggin mongolia is it. What's going to happen - puncture? easy. Broken chain ? Powerlink. Can't see what else would go wrong with a (probably) new, good quality bike that isn't being used for more than it was designed. And before you bang on about 'oh your frame might break', 'oh your spoke might snap', these things aren't that likely on account of the fact that i'm not really that fat.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

anyway the only thing that's puting me off is the costof the flights, looks like it's about a grand return. Is that other people's experience?! Is there anywhere you can get them any cheaper?

davelakers

New Zealand is the most wonderful country with wonderful beaches, forests, mountains and people.

Cant say Ive ever cycled over there but on our last trip through the Coromandel Penninsula (a must see) I was itching to have a go at some of the roads. Beautiful smooth tarmac on long winding hilly near deserted roads......................;):sad: so sad that Im not there now. Only 5 years till we can emmigrate at least!!!!

Best deal we found on flights was from www.netflights.co.uk. Depends on what time of year obviously, but we flew Manchester to Auckland on Singapore airlines in mid Feb 2007 returning mid March for £750.

I think Emirates can be cheaper but its a longer flight with an extra stop.

bonj said:
you don't need a breakdown service Tone. New zealand's a civilised country, it's not like i'm thinking of going to the gobi desert in outer friggin mongolia is it. What's going to happen - puncture? easy. Broken chain ? Powerlink. Can't see what else would go wrong with a (probably) new, good quality bike that isn't being used for more than it was designed. And before you bang on about 'oh your frame might break', 'oh your spoke might snap', these things aren't that likely on account of the fact that i'm not really that fat.
Which is, of course, why seasoned cyclo-tourists only ever carry a puncture repair kit and a mini-pump. Nothing else can possibly go wrong.

Can I come with you, just so's I can watch and laugh? ;)

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Chuffy said:
Which is, of course, why seasoned cyclo-tourists only ever carry a puncture repair kit and a mini-pump. Nothing else can possibly go wrong.

I fear you are overladen, sir - real bicycle tourists only use solid rubber tyres. That way one will never experience a puncture even in the colonies. Mr Dunlop's foppish invention will never catch on...

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Seriously though, I really can't believe that after all the shoot he gave JayClock, that Bonj is seriously asking this question - I mean, why doesn't he just go to Wales? :tongue: And why not read JayClock's website - it is really rather good and has pictures!

snorri

Legendary Member
bonj said:
by 'good for cycling' i don't mean how kind are the drivers, that doesn't phase me , i mean what's the scenery, landscape etc like
I can only say my Canadian cousin floored a New Zealander who was trying to impress her with their wonderful scenery when she told him it was just like Scotland.:biggrin:

Flying_Monkey said:
I fear you are overladen, sir - real bicycle tourists only use solid rubber tyres. That way one will never experience a puncture even in the colonies. Mr Dunlop's foppish invention will never catch on...
Of course the true cyclo-tourist carries nothing more than his Webley service revolver and a picture of Queen Victoria.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Flying_Monkey said:
Seriously though, I really can't believe that after all the shoot he gave JayClock, that Bonj is seriously asking this question - I mean, why doesn't he just go to Wales? ;) And why not read JayClock's

Seriously though, no disrespect to law block but if can't be that good if if offer to ask on here WHAT TO BRING. If i remember rightly it was more a case of how many different snaps for different parts of the body to bring.

Top Bottom