new zealand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

what's it like for cycling, and how expensive are flights there? And is there a remote possibility they won't smash your bike to smithereens if you took it on the plane or is it a case of buy one there, ebay it at the end?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
bonj said:
what's it like for cycling, and how expensive are flights there? And is there a remote possibility they won't smash your bike to smithereens if you took it on the plane or is it a case of buy one there, ebay it at the end?

Cycling is apparently quite good, but wearing a helmet is compulsory. Flights run from about £800 or so - look at the ads in the back of the weekend papers, or ring Trailfinders, Travelbag or search Expedia. I'd box your bike up - get a cardboard shipping box from your LBS or get them to box it for you. Do the same coming back. If you don't fancy risking your bike, I'd get one out there, especially if you were thinking of getting another anyway. If it gets smashed up on the way home, that's not gonna knacker your trip...

The drivers are the nicest in the world as well - one of the few places in the world where I felt happy getting around hitchhiking. Never waited for more than 10 minutes, and most went out of their way to show us the sights, drop us off at the yha, etc. Didn't notice any bad driving either...

Batzman

Well, as an ex-Kiwi, I'd say while the drivers are not as respectful of cyclists as most UK drivers, but they aren't the worst in the world either... (Try India sometime...) - the roads are generally wider than in the UK, so the number of close passes works out about the same.

I'd also suggest a bike box. If you are shipping mountain bikes, make sure the tyres are clean or you will have problems in customs (they have very strict biosecurity standards)

If you're going to cycle directly from the airport, there's a cycle assembly area with stands near the taxi rank (turn left when exiting customs)

If you are mountain biking, I highly recommend the redwoods mountainbike park in Rotorua. (or... hire a mountainbike for the day and have a go :tongue:

OP
OP
B

bonj2

by 'good for cycling' i don't mean how kind are the drivers, that doesn't phase me , i mean what's the scenery, landscape etc like

Milo

Guru
I know a girl who cycled both islands she enjoyed it even though she was there through some of the most severe flooding in its history.

pinkkaz

Veteran
I haven't cycled in NZ, but I travelled around it for 3 months after university. It is one of the most beautiful countries I've ever been. It is extremely diverse in scenery, which changes every 30-50 miles. It has volcanos, emerald seas, hot springs, ancient forest, waterfalls galore, glaciers, wildlife (saw sealions basking on the beach). It is lush and green and unspoilt. The people there always seemed very friendly as well.

Can you tell I want to go back?

I would like to cycle it. It's hard to know what it would be like to cycle as I was in a coach the whole time. The North Island seemed very hilly...

rich p

ridiculous old lush
bonj said:
also anybody got any opinions on whether it's 'worth' the flight?

He Bonjy, do you remember when you were advising Jayclock (an experienced world travelled tourer) where he was going wrong? He was going to NZ so it might be worth renewing his aquaintance for advice - I seem to remember that he valued your advice greatly:evil:

Definitely worth the flight!!! Absolutely fantastic country, and like pink says, the amount of different scenery you can get in a day is unbelievable. Would emigrate immediately if only I could get enough points!

As for kiwi films, Whalerider is one of my favourites - although Once Were Warriors is great too.

Top Bottom