new zealand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paulrw

Hi, I intend travelling to NZ in mid January to do some cycle camping. Does anyone have any good info/links or general tips I could use?I mean to be away just short of a month. Would it make more sense to hire a bike there rather than the hassle of transporting mine ? I can manage about 70 miles a day on good terrain, quite a lot less on steep hills !paul

hackbike 6

Wow I want to go there next something like November.

jay clock

Massive member
been there, done that!! Last January.... I did three weeks on the North Island.

Feedback - the hills are like Devon and Cornwall but longer. Lots of 3-4-5km hills pretty steep. There are long hauls on busy-ish roads and several stretches which are long steep hills, lorries, narrow (eg Napier to Taupo)

I think for a month it would be hard to do both islands, but I think the South has more steady long climbs which are less steep.

WHere I went there was always a hostel or similar with a bed for £10 a night so I only camped when I had to. If alone and prepared to do a bit of planning the you could easily get away without camping kit
... BUT in spite of any moans above I had a fantastic time. Really fantastic. See here for full info www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/nz and get in touch if you want a chat.

bonj2

I was going to do it, but flights there are very expensive. like a grand each way. Could get a new bike for that. So i decided to sack it off and maybe think about going somewhere like germany or ireland even.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
bonj said:
I was going to do it, but flights there are very expensive. like a grand each way. Could get a new bike for that. So i decided to sack it off and maybe think about going somewhere like germany or ireland even.

About as helpful as a chocolate teapot, Bonjy;)

rualexander

Legendary Member
Return flight to NZ shouldn't cost much more than £800 if you book it at the right time.
Most of the North Island is too busy nowadays for cycle touring unless you are prepared to get off the sealed roads and hit the gravel. The exception being the East Cape and the quieter roads through the Wairarapa.
South Island is still relatively quiet though unless you are on the main roads to/from Christchurch.
Some roads to popular spots can be busy at weekends.
Most main roads have a good width of sealed shoulder though.

bonj said:

What! I booked last week to go out next month and with Air New Zealand it was £961 return to Christchurch which is more expensive than Auckland. I could have done it a fair bit cheaper on a flight that takes over 50 hours and involves endless changing.

OP
OP
P

paulrw

Thanks for all the info

paul

Top Bottom