Newbie..........1st time on a road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good Morning folks, newbie here, I having been reading the forum for a while and can see the valuable advice you guys give. I am hoping you can help me out. I have returned to cycling after many many years and have been fortunate enough to have been given 2 very nice bikes from my very generous friend. They are a Specialized Sirrus hybrid and a Giant Defy 3.5 road bike.
I have ridden the hybrid and it is running very well however I took the road bike for a spin yesterday and the gears were terrible. I was buzzing after the ride yesterday and really want to get into Road biking. My neighbour has had a go at tweaking then but they are still not engaging properly.
It looks as if the rear cage is bent and the cogs seem very worn, he has changed the chain but still clunky and jumping.
The bike is 10 years old and is in very good condition, would it be worth investing in a complete new chain set and if so what sort of money would I be looking at ? Tia x

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Could be two things.
Worn cassette with a new chain is always likely to skip and jump a bit. Fit a new cassette with the new chain should fix that.
About £25 for a new cassette.
If the rear mech looks bent it could be the frame hanger that has been knocked, it is unusual for the mech itself to be bent and the owner not to be aware it happened. More likely the hanger took a hit during storage or transportation, they are designed to bend/snap to prevent serious damage to the drivetrain and frame. The hanger can be straightened if it is only slightly bent but it is best to replace it as once bent and straightened it will be weakened and more likely to fail.
Might be worth getting a bike shop to look at it, this is just the kind of thing the government's £50 repair voucher scheme should be good for.
A 10yr old bike could have plenty of life in it and repair is definitely worth investigating.

OP
OP
Wicket-maiden

Wicket-maiden

Could be two things.
Worn cassette with a new chain is always likely to skip and jump a bit. Fit a new cassette with the new chain should fix that.
About £25 for a new cassette.
If the rear mech looks bent it could be the frame hanger that has been knocked, it is unusual for the mech itself to be bent and the owner not to be aware it happened. More likely the hanger took a hit during storage or transportation, they are designed to bend/snap to prevent serious damage to the drivetrain and frame. The hanger can be straightened if it is only slightly bent but it is best to replace it as once bent and straightened it will be weakened and more likely to fail.
Might be worth getting a bike shop to look at it, this is just the kind of thing the government's £50 repair voucher scheme should be good for.
A 10yr old bike could have plenty of life in it and repair is definitely worth investigating.
Thanks pal. The bike is in a lovely condition body wise. I’ve checked the hanger and it appears straight it’s the bottom of the mech that has pulled in a little towards the spokes. The cassette looks worn but not as bad as the front chainrings. Many of the teeth have been squared off :ohmy: The chain was not sitting properly but since changing the chain it seems to sit a lot better but still jumps on the front and rear. Trouble is it’s an old triple 8 speed so I’m highly unlikely to be able to get a replacement. I will take it into a lbs tomorrow and keep you posted.

Thanks pal. The bike is in a lovely condition body wise. I’ve checked the hanger and it appears straight it’s the bottom of the mech that has pulled in a little towards the spokes. The cassette looks worn but not as bad as the front chainrings. Many of the teeth have been squared off :ohmy: The chain was not sitting properly but since changing the chain it seems to sit a lot better but still jumps on the front and rear. Trouble is it’s an old triple 8 speed so I’m highly unlikely to be able to get a replacement. I will take it into a lbs tomorrow and keep you posted.

Actually it’s doubles that are in hard to find!
You can triples from Tredz. An 7-9 speed chainset will do fine so Sora, Claris or Tourney will do the trick. A good place to look for parts is SJS cycles and Spa Cycles. You just need to match the BCD and bottom bracket type to avoid the need to also change the bottom bracket.

8 speed cassettes can be found on Wiggle or similar for decent money. I reckon you can get all the parts for around £50 and then £30-£40 for a fit/service if you don’t do it yourself.

It probably needs new chain, cassette and cables (inner and outer) at the minimum and to get to the cables you will probably need bar tape too. If its 8spd you could probably by the parts for around £50 and tools/mechanic for another £50. Less likely but possible if deraileurs, shifters or hangers are damaged it'll cost you more again.

OP
OP
Wicket-maiden

Wicket-maiden

Actually it’s doubles that are in hard to find!
You can triples from Tredz. An 7-9 speed chainset will do fine so Sora, Claris or Tourney will do the trick. A good place to look for parts is SJS cycles and Spa Cycles. You just need to match the BCD and bottom bracket type to avoid the need to also change the bottom bracket.

8 speed cassettes can be found on Wiggle or similar for decent money. I reckon you can get all the parts for around £50 and then £30-£40 for a fit/service if you don’t do it yourself.
Thank you, I will check them out.

OP
OP
Wicket-maiden

Wicket-maiden

It probably needs new chain, cassette and cables (inner and outer) at the minimum and to get to the cables you will probably need bar tape too. If its 8spd you could probably by the parts for around £50 and tools/mechanic for another £50. Less likely but possible if deraileurs, shifters or hangers are damaged it'll cost you more again.
Will new cables make much difference? I’ve already got some bar tape but haven’t put it on yet as may change the bars for a shorter reach ^_^

OP
OP
Wicket-maiden

Wicket-maiden

Well what an experience the lbs was, not at all very helpful.......I rang in advance to enquire about a chain, got to the shop no pleasantries, he just handed me the item. I tried to engage in conversation but he tried to bamboozle me. Don’t think I’ll be going there again :ohmy: Surely it can’t be too difficult to change a cassette or freewheel, as he tried to confuse me :wacko:

C R

Guru
Will new cables make much difference? I’ve already got some bar tape but haven’t put it on yet as may change the bars for a shorter reach ^_^
If the bike has been sitting unused for a while, there may be corrosion inside that adds friction and reduces the performance, specially if it was put away while damp or in a damp place. The bit of cable that goes at the back to the derailleur accumulates crud, so at least the outer in that one should be changed.

Most likely. If they are sticking or stretched with age which is common you won't be able to set up the rear mech right. If you can get the mech shifting perfect between two gears. If the cables are perfect it should shift the rest of the block, if it doesn't the cables are the likely problem 👍

C R

Guru
Most likely. If they are sticking or stretched with age which is common you won't be able to set up the rear mech right. If you can get the mech shifting perfect between two gears. If the cables are perfect it should shift the rest of the block, if it doesn't the cables are the likely problem 👍
Hanger alignment could cause that too.

Top Bottom