Newbie Audax question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darkmarkster

Über Member
Forgive my lack of understand but as to now ive only ever done Sportives/Charity events & light touring but ive been seeing more and more things about Audax events but I dont really understand what they are or how they differ?

Do you basically start off on a set distance and check in at control points to get your card stamped? Is it a race? and ive noticed on a lot of pages they have a minimum speed level?

Im considering doing a beginners one but I dont want to sign up for something then be unable to keep up with everyone else or be at the same standard etc.

It's not a race, you just have to follow the route (using the route sheet, no signage like in sportives) and stay within the average speed range stated, getting your card stamped or picking up the required info if it's an unmanned control as you go. The slowest speed required is usually pretty slow but don't forget it's total time and even short stops add up. You're expected to be a lot more self sufficiant than you are in charity rides/sportives but it is much cheaper.

OP
OP
D

Darkmarkster

Über Member
Ah right i see! do people usually do these solo or in groups? Is it common to see someone cycling alone on one of the rides or do people mainly bunch together etc?

A few groups of various sizes will probably form but they'll be a lone riders as well. It's a mixed bag from younger guys on race bikes treating it like a sportive to older riders who look like they've been on a bike (probably the same one) for the last 40 years.

OP
OP
D

Darkmarkster

Über Member
Dave Davenport said:
A few groups of various sizes will probably form but they'll be a lone riders as well. It's a mixed bag from younger guys on race bikes treating it like a sportive to older riders who look like they've been on a bike (probably the same one) for the last 40 years.

I see,it really does sound like something I would like to try,I like the idea of a card that gets stamped,and badges etc,some sort of recognition for what youve actually done,I have no problem doing 100/120 mile events but might start off with a 50km audax to get used to what its like.

I was thinking about doing this 53km "Leap into the Aire" one in West Yorkshire in April as my first one.

http://www.westyorkshiresr.org.uk/

OP
OP
D

Darkmarkster

Über Member
cool,ill let you know soon if im doing it for sure.

On these shorter distance ones do you usually get people who blast off and leave everyone behind as they see the distance as a "warm up" distance or regular cyclists who are just out to enjoy it?

Arch

Married to Night Train
I have no idea, it'll be my first Audax!

I suspect you get all sorts - people who whizz off and people like me getting used to hilly stuff..

OP
OP
D

Darkmarkster

Über Member
:smile: i see,yeah you get those people at the sportives that I do as well,who laugh and go see ya at the start and then two things happen,either they are really good and they pass you coming back as the rest of the participants are nearing the finish or you see them being treated by St Johns ambulance riders about 3 miles later down the road as they blasted off at full pelt showing off and collapsed :sad:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Yeah, that's the sort of thing!

I'm a slow and steady type, and being based in York, not used to serious hills, which is why I'm doing the Aire ride, and not the Spring into the Dales the same day - I should be fine with the longer distance, and would be if it was flat....

But I'm in training for a little thing called LEL:

https://www.cyclechat.net/

:smile:

OP
OP
D

Darkmarkster

Über Member
ah sounds cool! your based in York? I spent a lot of time up there for one reason or another the year before last,Mainly in the Evil eye bar and Lendals cellar :smile:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Darkmarkster said:
ah sounds cool! your based in York? I spent a lot of time up there for one reason or another the year before last,Mainly in the Evil eye bar and Lendals cellar :sad:

Ah, I know them well... Well, fairly well, I wouldn't want to give the impression I drink a lot....:smile:

OP
OP
D

Darkmarkster

Über Member
lol aw,there were 2 tea shops as well,a small one near the Minster and another one that did themed cakes for hallowean and chocolate vegetables and everything but for the life of me I cannot remember what it was called,not that I looked through the window hungrily like charlie and the chocolate factory on a day to day basis or anything :smile:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Darkmarkster said:
lol aw,there were 2 tea shops as well,a small one near the Minster and another one that did themed cakes for hallowean and chocolate vegetables and everything but for the life of me I cannot remember what it was called,not that I looked through the window hungrily like charlie and the chocolate factory on a day to day basis or anything :biggrin:

The themed one sounds like Bettys.... When I first moved to York as a student, various friends and rellies came to stay, and in exchange for lodgings, I'd get them to take me to Bettys for tea....:ohmy:

OP
OP
D

Darkmarkster

Über Member
thats the one! I was only really up there as I was dating someone at the time who was studying at York St Johns Uni,we used to stay just up from Fountains learning centre on the road that now has a drop in centre or something there.

Top Bottom