Newbie Audax question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChristinaJL

I quite fancy trying a sportive/audax soon, so will be watching with interest to see how you get on with your first one. :biggrin:

Not sure how to train for one though, as with 2 small kids, most time I get to go out during the week is 1-2 hours per ride. :sad: I must plan some longer rides with husband/kids as back up. :smile:

jimboalee

With an 8 kmh minimum speed, you may decide to walk up the hills and freewheel down the hills, ie no pedalling at all.

Greenbank

Über Member
jimboalee said:
With an 8 kmh minimum speed, you may decide to walk up the hills and freewheel down the hills, ie no pedalling at all.

<OldMathsTrickQuestion>

If you walk up a hill at 4kph how fast do you have to go down the other side to average 8kph overall?

Arch

Married to Night Train
vernon said:
It's a rude awakening for you if you are not used to hills. It's manageable - I can haul my 22 stone carcass around the route though I can't say that I enjoy all of the route. The post ride catering is legendary though.

I received my routesheet yesterday.

This is all I need to know...;)

I can do hills. Slowly. But round here is very flat, so it takes me a while to get acclimatised. I do go up to Northumberland once a year for a regular weekend gathering, and I cope ok - and that's pretty hilly.

darkmarkster - I expect to have tears in my teeth and my eyes gritted....:sad:

Palmersperry, please tell me you got your Malton receipt from the String shop!

OP
OP
D

Darkmarkster

Über Member
;) well as long as they are gritted thats all that matters! So it seems that we have quite a few of us up for making this our first Audax then? :sad:

PalmerSperry

Arch said:
This is all I need to know...:sad:

I can do hills. Slowly. But round here is very flat, so it takes me a while to get acclimatised. I do go up to Northumberland once a year for a regular weekend gathering, and I cope ok - and that's pretty hilly.

Cycle up from York to Coxwold, cycle over the hill that is Coxwold? Repeat as often as desired! :-) You can even "justify" it as rec'y for part of the LEL route? ;)

Arch said:
Palmersperry, please tell me you got your Malton receipt from the String shop!

Alas, no ... It was from the Co-Op(?) and probably for a Red-Bull!

Arch

Married to Night Train
PalmerSperry said:
Cycle up from York to Coxwold, cycle over the hill that is Coxwold? Repeat as often as desired! :-) You can even "justify" it as rec'y for part of the LEL route? :tongue:

Ah yes, by way of Crayke....

Greenbank

Über Member
PalmerSperry said:
Cycle up from York to Coxwold, cycle over the hill that is Coxwold? Repeat as often as desired! :-) You can even "justify" it as rec'y for part of the LEL route? :evil:

Crayke almost certainly won't be on the route for LEL 2013 as it's very unlikely that Coxwold would be used as a control again. It coped fine for last year's LEL but with the proposed increase in numbers the facilities available just won't be able to cope.

Current route in that area is more likely to be Pocklington, Thirsk, Barnard Castle, ... No idea of the actual controls yet.

It could all change, nothing will be finalised for quite a while.

I did a recce of the LEL route in March 2009 and various bits changed quite considerably between then and July (Canonbie was still being considered as a control).

Nuncio

Über Member
I think I heard that one control had already been booked. Can't remember where though. It's going to happen.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Crayke was a bit of Arallsop's account I could really relate to - when he hopes like mad he's going round, and it turns out he's going over. Uncle Phil took us on a ride out that way, and it was lovely and flat until Crayke, and I struggled up the first bit, to be confronted with a left turn that kept going up!

I made it though. Just.:evil:

jimboalee

Sorry folks. I'm doing the Staffordshire Lanes 100 on 18th April.

1.25 AAA points on a 53 km ride sounds interesting though. A bit like riding round the black country on a Sunday morning...:rolleyes:

I'd have thought the 'Grimps' would be on the Castleton Classic...;)

Top Bottom